Author Topic: Kill the projector TV's  (Read 4235 times)

Offline greglsh

Re: Kill the projector TV's
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2018, 08:17:02 PM »
Hi

I am one of the people that have the Lg OLED C7 65 inch 4k tv, The picture quality is supurb on these tv's, I was able to get this at a good discounted price and was also looking at the QLED tv's at the same time. The picture quality on the QLED was very good but I just liked the LG a bit more. I had watched many many reviews on the internet before making my choice and at the time (before the C8 came out) the vast majority of the reviewers said that the LG OLED C7 was the best TV available at the time. Have had my tv for about 5 months now and enjoy it everyday.

P.S. I also have a 120" projector which I drop down for sports, so best of both I think.

Offline Steerpike

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2018, 02:51:44 AM »
Sitting here in the dark looking at my 4" screen it strikes me that any TV connected to an inverter and batteries is better than any other TV not connected to one.

Offline The kock

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Member
  • "I lie, I lay, I slay!!" Conan the barbarian!
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2018, 09:32:01 AM »
Hi

I am one of the people that have the Lg OLED C7 65 inch 4k tv, The picture quality is supurb on these tv's, I was able to get this at a good discounted price and was also looking at the QLED tv's at the same time. The picture quality on the QLED was very good but I just liked the LG a bit more. I had watched many many reviews on the internet before making my choice and at the time (before the C8 came out) the vast majority of the reviewers said that the LG OLED C7 was the best TV available at the time. Have had my tv for about 5 months now and enjoy it everyday.

P.S. I also have a 120" projector which I drop down for sports, so best of both I think.

That sounds like a great setup and I agree gives best of both!!

Offline Simango4

« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2018, 12:49:25 PM »
Question, for the QLED owners or users:

At night, with all lights off (I mean completely no other source of light except your TV), what does a completely black scene look like? (Grey or Black)

For example, some transitions in movies are really black including some movies dark scenes with totally black areas, under these conditions, does the TV look black or grayish black?

Unfortunately, showrooms are a totally bad way of checking or comparing black level performance, even my 2013/14 LG LED TV (50LA62xxx) looks really black in a lit room, but once you turn off the lights, black looks annoyingly grey. Although It has feature that switches off the back-light if the content is pitch back black (like a totally black transition etc.), but the response is quite slow for fast changing scenes that it sometimes doesn't switch off, but when it does, it makes a great visual effect, it literally looks "OFF" because well, the back-light is OFF, but the moment a white little object like a mouse pointer moves across the screen or there happen to be a star or two in the middle of a dark night sky, it gets back to it's illuminated black that looks grey...this is the part that I doubt QLED solved adequately like OLED did.

Music is What Feelings Sound Like...
You Don't Stop Gaming Because you Grow Old, You Grow Old Because you Stop Gaming...

Offline Ju_dy@RT

« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2018, 03:37:59 PM »
Have been watching this thread... now I can't resist any more.  Personally I think it may be the right PROJECTOR SCREEN that will kill most TV's.  :popcorn:

Eskom can't kill it... Lightning can't kill it... and best of all, midnight shoppers won't touch it.

Just putting it out there... https://www.facebook.com/Remedytec/videos/855047447928437/

Don't ask me how... I call it pixy dust... at least that's what I tell my clients.

Offline Gallderhen

« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2018, 05:16:21 PM »
Just putting it out there... https://www.facebook.com/Remedytec/videos/855047447928437/

Its actually called the Black Diamond screen, but lets not split hairs :P

I've been trying to get some local pricing on the SI screens, specially the Slate ones that's more affordable. Best I saw was audioholics thats got the fixed 133" screen around R87k, and the motorized flush in the region of R110-R120K.

Gonna take me quite a long time to save up for it :'(

-G-

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2018, 04:25:12 AM »

I've been trying to get some local pricing on the SI screens, specially the Slate ones that's more affordable. Best I saw was audioholics thats got the fixed 133" screen around R87k, and the motorized flush in the region of R110-R120K.

-G-

I can get them for you much cheaper but im still not paying that for a screen.

Offline Ju_dy@RT

« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2018, 09:56:28 AM »

-G-

yeah.. I know. I sell them too  ;).   They start from about half the price you mentioned for a pretty good size screen, if you dont need the fancy backlights and whatnot.  PM me if you are interested.

Offline Simango4

« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2018, 11:00:33 AM »
Question, for the QLED owners or users:

At night, with all lights off (I mean completely no other source of light except your TV), what does a completely black scene look like? (Grey or Black)

For example, some transitions in movies are really black including some movies dark scenes with totally black areas, under these conditions, does the TV look black or grayish black?

Unfortunately, showrooms are a totally bad way of checking or comparing black level performance, even my 2013/14 LG LED TV (50LA62xxx) looks really black in a lit room, but once you turn off the lights, black looks annoyingly grey. Although It has feature that switches off the back-light if the content is pitch back black (like a totally black transition etc.), but the response is quite slow for fast changing scenes that it sometimes doesn't switch off, but when it does, it makes a great visual effect, it literally looks "OFF" because well, the back-light is OFF, but the moment a white little object like a mouse pointer moves across the screen or there happen to be a star or two in the middle of a dark night sky, it gets back to it's illuminated black that looks grey...this is the part that I doubt QLED solved adequately like OLED did.
So this is what i meant by grey vs completely black screen (well, in this case, TV backlight off due to totally black content vs the grey that appears when the mouse appears on a totally black background)

I forgot to compensate the auto exposure on the last pic (overhead lights off with the mouse on black background, in reality, the grey in that case was almost the same as the one with overhead lights ON, just a slightly brighter - i.e. the difference is not as extreme as it appears here)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

You Don't Stop Gaming Because you Grow Old, You Grow Old Because you Stop Gaming...

Offline Simango4

« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2018, 11:06:16 AM »
So this is what i meant by grey vs completely black screen (well, in this case, TV backlight off due to totally black content vs the grey that appears when the mouse appears on a totally black background)

I forgot to compensate the auto exposure on the last pic (overhead lights off with the mouse on black background, in reality, the grey in that case was almost the same as the one with overhead lights ON, just a slightly brighter - i.e. the difference is not as extreme as it appears here)

Could we have some night posts of OLED & QLED TV displays (with totally black scenes - without the total "backlight off" in use if present)

This could make a decent practical comparison (provided we make sure the camera exposure is compensated to capture & show a fairly close image to the real view you had)

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2018, 02:02:27 PM »
Could we have some night posts of OLED & QLED TV displays (with totally black scenes - without the total "backlight off" in use if present)

This could make a decent practical comparison (provided we make sure the camera exposure is compensated to capture & show a fairly close image to the real view you had)

Pointless to do that with an OLED, black is completely, 100% black. Also, there is no backlight on an OLED, it's a self emmissive display.

Offline Simango4

« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2018, 02:24:16 PM »
Pointless to do that with an OLED, black is completely, 100% black. Also, there is no backlight on an OLED, it's a self emmissive display.

Yes, backlight applies to QLED screens, that's where the "backlight-off trick" must be disabled for a useful comparison, but it would help give us a practical idea (rather than theoretical) of the difference between the black level performance of OLED vs QLED in complete darkness...where it matters

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2018, 02:45:03 PM »
Yes, backlight applies to QLED screens, that's where the "backlight-off trick" must be disabled for a useful comparison, but it would help give us a practical idea (rather than theoretical) of the difference between the black level performance of OLED vs QLED in complete darkness...where it matters

There is no comparison. Edge lit QLEDs have the same black floor as any other VA panel and will have a visible glow in a dark room, not as bright as an LG which uses an IPS panel though. You also can't switch off the backlight pseudo-local dimming. The black level also rises in bands where there are bright elements on screen, so using a mouse pointer will result in a vertical column of light at that point.

Also I don't think photos are going to tell you much, given differences in exposure and room conditions. Here's a point of reference for you though, watch from the 3:50 mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DasKXyyXs2Q
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 02:57:14 PM by KenMasters »

Offline Simango4

« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2018, 03:08:29 PM »
There is no comparison. Edge lit QLEDs have the same black floor as any other VA panel and will have a visible glow in a dark room, not as bright as an LG which uses an IPS panel though. You also can't switch off the backlight auto-adjustment. The black level also rises in bands where there are bright elements on screen, so using a mouse pointer will result in a vertical column of light at that point.

Also I don't think photos are going to tell you much, given differences in exposure and room conditions.

The idea is not to determine which between OLED vs QLED is better, we all know, but most of us don't have practical comparison since shops do not offer such an experience. The backlight auto-off function is just a feature that switches off the backlight based on content displayed (basically the backlight decreases until it switches off completely), but the user has no direct control in terms of switching backlight on/off directly. I assumed that these modern LED TVs (QLED) might have it (probably an even quick responding version) given that my 2013 LED TV had it, so in case they do, it's best to disable it before it dostorts the comparison.

Regarding exposure, this is the reason i mentioned that the camera exposure needs compensation (basically, manual exposure) to ensure that it matches reality as fairly close as possible. Almost all smart camera phones allows Pro-Mode when taking photos, that may enable better control over exposure if the Auto mode does not allow exposure adjustment.

Offline Simango4

« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2018, 03:41:03 PM »
watch from the 3:50 mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DasKXyyXs2Q

My internet connection in my current location is very unstable to stream videos well, the buffering is extremely unbearable  :headbanger:...i'll check it later when i'm at home.

Though i saw it's about an edge lit Samie review if i got that patch correctly given the extreme buffering...in the case of of this comparison, i was hoping someone with a full array of LED backlight QLED would also pop a picture of their screen in a dark room.