Author Topic: Kill the projector TV's  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Dolby

Re: Kill the projector TV's
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2018, 02:33:05 PM »
Thanks - yea I'm happy with my QLED actually :)

I have a question on the Netflix Atmos LG TVs have though ... how do you get that sound out the TV?
I believe neither ARC nor SPDIF can do Atmos? Is there another way?

Online KenMasters

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2018, 02:59:38 PM »
I have a question on the Netflix Atmos LG TVs have though ... how do you get that sound out the TV?
I believe neither ARC nor SPDIF can do Atmos? Is there another way?

It does work through HDMI ARC, but not optical.

Offline The kock

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • "I live, I Love, I slay!!" Conan the barbarian!
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2018, 06:31:41 AM »
I suppose similar to the sound discussions it comes down to preference, but for me personally there is always a value discussion that comes into play and I hope like hell i wont be eating my own hat after I unpack and watch on my new set but I was sold on the LG C8 OLED (65" OLED R53k) at the same time there was the 75" UHD TV im buying for half the price, and I also compared in store and did not find the improvement to be worth the additional money and decided that and extra 10" for half the price and still 4K tv.

in my world value always comes into play and I'm hoping the TV delivers on that as that is where the expectation is set, but to an earlier comment I  was also not blown away between the quality on the two different sets on HD where we compared same content like for like .

Perhaps I have an untrained eye and therefore cant pick up the difference.

Offline Dolby

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2018, 09:04:35 AM »

Maybe that's my issue too.

I was looking at a 65" Samsung QLED or 65" LG OLED. Standard price was similar at R40ish for the units - but they had a massive special at R29,995.00 for the QLED. Try and try and try as I may, I didn't see the huge difference and thought the R10,000+ saving was better (which incidentally got me a used set of Kef LS50 :)

Online KenMasters

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2018, 12:15:55 PM »
It's like speakers, you'll find most everyone agrees they want good sound, but to most of those that just means being able to crank it and have it go doof, doof. The finer points are neither here nor there, certainly not when you look at the pricing of the speakers the "experts" go on about compared to the deal you appear to be getting on the Sony Mgongo down at Game.

Of course if the Mgongo level is all you're familiar with, then why wouldn't you be happy? Sometimes it's better to not know, and sometimes we really just don't care. The key I think is to be honest with yourself, what is it that you really want out of or appreciate in a display?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 12:20:26 PM by KenMasters »

Offline Morne Coetzee

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • POWER | PRECISION | PURITY
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2018, 12:34:21 PM »
Not yet

My projector is 120" so a little bit to go still.

Currently you can buy OLED up to 206 inches off the shelf, although I am sure being the 3rd world country that we are no one would stock it. Technically you can have any size you like even IMAX size if you so wish since they now are modular in design. As with so much in life it just depends what you can afford to pay. There is currently a house on sale in the US that I believe used to have the giggest 4K TV around 20 meters or so but that is from a couple of years back. Believe it or not the SA market is not at the forefront of technology.  :giggle:
There is Always justification for more Amplification!

Online KenMasters

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2018, 12:48:22 PM »
Speaking of modular displays, Micro-LED TVs (though sure to be prohibitively expensive at first) are going to make us rethink screen sizes, to my mind this is the display technology that will kill the projector. It's not just going to be implemented in our living rooms but in movie theatres as well in order to provide HDR to cinema goers. I would imagine the facility will be there to order individual modules to make up your own giant HDR display at home.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 12:54:43 PM by KenMasters »

Offline The kock

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2018, 09:58:24 AM »
I suppose similar to the sound discussions it comes down to preference, but for me personally there is always a value discussion that comes into play and I hope like hell i wont be eating my own hat after I unpack and watch on my new set but I was sold on the LG C8 OLED (65" OLED R53k) at the same time there was the 75" UHD TV im buying for half the price, and I also compared in store and did not find the improvement to be worth the additional money and decided that and extra 10" for half the price and still 4K tv.

in my world value always comes into play and I'm hoping the TV delivers on that as that is where the expectation is set, but to an earlier comment I  was also not blown away between the quality on the two different sets on HD where we compared same content like for like .

I am pleased to report that my 75"  "value" TV is up and I have only put DSTV through it but I am chuffed  :2thumbs: it really looks good once I sorted out the motion on the settings, color is good and the size is great in this modest sized room. Even sport is reasonably good or good enough shall I say.

I have not het watched proper HD 1080p or 4K but it can only get better from where I am now so If anybody is in the market for one of these sets from my side its an absolute no brainer at the price.

Always lekker when an upgrade comes off better than expected!!! cant wait to fit the M1's to the set up this evening 

Offline Des Miles

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2018, 01:20:16 PM »
^^^^^

If I may ask, what 75" TV did you purchase? I"m thinking of going the same way as my 5 y.o. Acer projector is nearing it"s end.

Offline Kemosabe

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2018, 09:04:04 PM »
Sitting here in the dark looking at my 4" screen it strikes me that any TV connected to an inverter and batteries is better than any other TV not connected to one.
DIY hi-fi: the journey is the destination.

Offline Kruger.vdMerwe

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2018, 02:06:49 AM »
Sitting here in the dark looking at my 4" screen it strikes me that any TV connected to an inverter and batteries is better than any other TV not connected to one.

Well said Sire! When are we going to start talking about gensets, solar and batteries to power and protect all our fancy new gear? Do you know what a power spike looks like on your fancy new q\o led screen? Smokey!

Offline The kock

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2018, 01:36:10 PM »
^^^^^

If I may ask, what 75" TV did you purchase? I"m thinking of going the same way as my 5 y.o. Acer projector is nearing it"s end.

LG 75 UHD 7050 I think its on special for round R30k

Online KenMasters

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2018, 02:05:29 PM »
LG 75 UHD 7050 I think its on special for round R30k

Is you living room quite bright, do you watch TV with the lights on?

Offline ShaunD

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2018, 05:19:55 PM »
Hi all

I have the option of getting the LG 75UK7050 or the Samsung 65Q7FN for the same price of R30k

which would be the better option if must my viewing is DSTV.

Online KenMasters

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2018, 06:55:23 PM »
Hi all

I have the option of getting the LG 75UK7050 or the Samsung 65Q7FN for the same price of R30k

which would be the better option if must my viewing is DSTV.

A case of screen size vs performance. The Q7 will offer better contrast, since VA panels produce deeper blacks, but the IPS panels LG uses have wider viewing angles, and 10" is nothing to scoff about. Like for like the Samsung is a no brainer, the size gives pause for thought though.