Author Topic: Kill the projector TV's  (Read 4273 times)

Online KenMasters

Re: Kill the projector TV's
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2018, 03:48:12 PM »
The idea is not to determine which between OLED vs QLED is better, we all know, but most of us don't have practical comparison since shops do not offer such an experience. The backlight auto-off function is just a feature that switches off the backlight based on content displayed (basically the backlight decreases until it switches off completely), but the user has no direct control in terms of switching backlight on/off directly. I assumed that these modern LED TVs (QLED) might have it (probably an even quick responding version) given that my 2013 LED TV had it, so in case they do, it's best to disable it before it dostorts the comparison.

As I mentioned, you can't disable it. They call it "local-dimming", but it's not true local dimming like you'd find with a FALD LCD display. It dims and brightens the edge lights depending on the content on screen (in columns shining up as the LEDs are arranged along the bottom of the screen).

Regarding exposure, this is the reason i mentioned that the camera exposure needs compensation (basically, manual exposure) to ensure that it matches reality as fairly close as possible. Almost all smart camera phones allows Pro-Mode when taking photos, that may enable better control over exposure if the Auto mode does not allow exposure adjustment.

I get that, but in my experience that's not going to be an effective means of comparison.

My internet connection in my current location is very unstable to stream videos well, the buffering is extremely unbearable  :headbanger:...i'll check it later when i'm at home.

Though i saw it's about an edge lit Samie review if i got that patch correctly given the extreme buffering...in the case of of this comparison, i was hoping someone with a full array of LED backlight QLED would also pop a picture of their screen in a dark room.

Only the Q9 is a FALD display, the rest are all edge lit, same as the NU.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 03:50:32 PM by KenMasters »

Online Curlycat

« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2018, 05:15:04 PM »
Its actually called the Black Diamond screen, but lets not split hairs :P

I've been trying to get some local pricing on the SI screens, specially the Slate ones that's more affordable. Best I saw was audioholics thats got the fixed 133" screen around R87k, and the motorized flush in the region of R110-R120K.

Gonna take me quite a long time to save up for it :'(

-G-

Nah man, I am disgusted. Is someone making a lot of money?

When I think of less fortunate people and the state the planet is in, things like this just makes me angry and sad!

Offline Steerpike

« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2018, 01:56:47 AM »
Nah man, I am disgusted. Is someone making a lot of money?
When I think of less fortunate people and the state the planet is in, things like this just makes me angry and sad!

Making exotic displays does cost a lot in many years of research and failed experiments/trials.
The first colour CRTs were also very expensive in their time, they only became cheap as volumes increased.
The first TV sets available in SA sold for around R1000. That was a lot of money in the 1970s.

But I cannot 'see' that any TV shows or films are worth that amount of money to watch.

Offline Dolby

« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2018, 09:27:52 AM »
The idea is not to determine which between OLED vs QLED is better, we all know, but most of us don't have practical comparison since shops do not offer such an experience

Like I mentioned earlier, I really didn't see the difference discusseded. I expected to see ink black OLED and washed out grey QLED. However, this was in the shop.

It definitely wasn't a R15,000 difference between the two and at home in a dark room, I have no issues with 'grey' screen. In fact with all the negativity around QLED, I was pleasantly surprised.

Offline Simango4

« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2018, 11:30:08 AM »
It definitely wasn't a R15,000 difference between the two and at home in a dark room, I have no issues with 'grey' screen. In fact with all the negativity around QLED, I was pleasantly surprised.

Is that to say the QLED you've used at home paints fairly black "black" instead of grayish black in a completely dark room?

Can you please post a picture of the TV with black content like movie cast if possible?  :pray: (with exposure compensation to make the photo paint an honest picture)
Music is What Feelings Sound Like...
You Don't Stop Gaming Because you Grow Old, You Grow Old Because you Stop Gaming...

Offline Dolby

« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2018, 02:44:06 PM »
Sure - I'll do is this evening.

What settings do I need to take off on the camera to get an accurate photo?

Otherwise, if you're around Randburg you're more than welcome to come past one evening and check it out for yourself.

Offline Spurge

« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2019, 10:50:04 PM »
CES 2019 Las Vegas

Another nail is added to the coffin for projectors

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/gadgets/290898-samsung-unveils-massive-219-inch-4k-the-wall-tv.html/amp

Offline Gallderhen

« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2019, 11:19:20 AM »
CES 2019 Las Vegas

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/gadgets/290898-samsung-unveils-massive-219-inch-4k-the-wall-tv.html/amp

If LG comes up with a 133 inch roll-up TV, then I'd get that, otherwise I'm still planning on getting a projector.

-G-

Offline The kock

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Member
  • "I lie, I lay, I slay!!" Conan the barbarian!
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2019, 11:44:35 AM »
CES 2019 Las Vegas

:dop:

You will have to buy this TV and then build your house around it.