Author Topic: Kill the projector TV's  (Read 4631 times)

Offline Jaws

Re: Kill the projector TV's
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2018, 07:32:34 PM »
Yes that makes it worth it :thumbs:
just dont like it. The glare irritates me where my Qled is much better in my bright room. Qled for me is also more striking with brightness. The burn in also makes me worry like with old plasma tvs. If it needs to be in a dark room rather go projector, tv is meant for normal rooms.
Don't stress about burn in. My 10year old plasma has absolutely no burn in what so ever. I guess the pixel shift feature took care of that issue.

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2018, 09:08:14 PM »
Don't stress about burn in. My 10year old plasma has absolutely no burn in what so ever. I guess the pixel shift feature took care of that issue.

And OLEDs are much less susceptible than plasmas.

Offline The kock

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Member
  • "I lie, I lay, I slay!!" Conan the barbarian!
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2018, 08:22:26 AM »

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

I must say I agree here I have one 8 year old Plasma that gets used every day by the family and another in the bar and I dont seem to have ever battled with the "burn in" etc. touch wood.

Also still cant touch the plasma's for movement on sport etc. still prefer this to the new TV's when it comes to basic DSTV sport, so Im actually keeping my 55" plasma's for the bar until one day they burn out.

Offline Drifter

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2018, 10:29:15 AM »
I have a 10 year old Samsung 43 inch Plasma that my son has been using as a Playstation monitor for the past 4 years. I tried to educate him about burn in but after the 10th time of him walking away and leaving the TV on a static image for hours on end and me blowing my top, I have officially given up. I have been pretty surprised that even after all of the abuse there has been no burn in. The panel started degrading after it was about 3 years old as it is starting to make "stars" in the one corner and it has slowly gotten worse over the years. I've just left it as it is still okay for Playstation use.

My 4 year old Samsung series 8 FHD 55' LED TV is a piece of junk. It developed dead pixels after less than a year, panel was replaced in warranty but for the past 2 years restarts itself constantly. It also drops the wifi connection (router is literally in the room next to it) as the tv seems to disable its wifi receiver regularly.

I won't buy a Samsung TV again. My FIL has a LG and the OS is way better than Samsung's IMHO.

I love my projector (Optoma HD50). I have a 120 inch screen. An OLED 4k TV may give you more brightness and ultimate detail but there is no substitute for size. You can buy this projector for R10k used and a 80 odd inch tv will cost you R50k. It is a no brainer for me. Stick with your old tv for the news and boer soek 'n vrou and get a projector and pull down screen for when you watch to movies.

Offline The kock

• AVForums Member
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2018, 01:58:57 PM »
I have a 10 year old Samsung 43 inch Plasma that my son has been using as a Playstation monitor for the past 4 years. I tried to educate him about burn in but after the 10th time of him walking away and leaving the TV on a static image for hours on end and me blowing my top, I have officially given up. I have been pretty surprised that even after all of the abuse there has been no burn in. The panel started degrading after it was about 3 years old as it is starting to make "stars" in the one corner and it has slowly gotten worse over the years. I've just left it as it is still okay for Playstation use.

My 4 year old Samsung series 8 FHD 55' LED TV is a piece of junk. It developed dead pixels after less than a year, panel was replaced in warranty but for the past 2 years restarts itself constantly. It also drops the wifi connection (router is literally in the room next to it) as the tv seems to disable its wifi receiver regularly.

I won't buy a Samsung TV again. My FIL has a LG and the OS is way better than Samsung's IMHO.

I love my projector (Optoma HD50). I have a 120 inch screen. An OLED 4k TV may give you more brightness and ultimate detail but there is no substitute for size. You can buy this projector for R10k used and a 80 odd inch tv will cost you R50k. It is a no brainer for me. Stick with your old tv for the news and boer soek 'n vrou and get a projector and pull down screen for when you watch to movies.

I agree 100% with this my living room just has a 3m x 6m window on the one side so even after having RS4 there as I was sold on the Optoma UHD65 we agreed its not going to work in that room. so I bought this TV for living space and then when I progress with the cinema room then the Optoma comes back into play as that room has no windows at all :clap:

Offline MeTsU

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2018, 09:12:31 PM »
I've never ventured into projectors and I'm starting to want to make the move towards one.  So sadly I can't really add to the conversation from personal experience but I could possibly add why I'd like to go the projector route.

We currently have an aged Samsung UA50F5000, which looks to small for the room (was bought prior to the house we are in now, so fitted that room somewhat).

Our lounge is 4.5m x 5.5m roughly and we can control the light pretty well in the room (blinds as well as curtains).  The viewing distance from couch to TV / wall is about 3.5m (from the 4.5m section) so a 1m lost to couch and positioning. 

The wall area available to cast an image onto is approximately 3.m wide and 3m (floor to ceiling) and obviously we would allow for the height to be reduced by at most 1m.

I'm no professional but it looks like we have the possibility to go the projector route.  The costs associated with a large TV are pretty intense to compare to the likes of a good projector.

Offline kenvanraas

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2018, 09:19:07 PM »
Its a bit like audio,digital vs vinyl?

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2018, 04:35:27 AM »
I've never ventured into projectors and I'm starting to want to make the move towards one.  So sadly I can't really add to the conversation from personal experience but I could possibly add why I'd like to go the projector route.

We currently have an aged Samsung UA50F5000, which looks to small for the room (was bought prior to the house we are in now, so fitted that room somewhat).

Our lounge is 4.5m x 5.5m roughly and we can control the light pretty well in the room (blinds as well as curtains).  The viewing distance from couch to TV / wall is about 3.5m (from the 4.5m section) so a 1m lost to couch and positioning. 

The wall area available to cast an image onto is approximately 3.m wide and 3m (floor to ceiling) and obviously we would allow for the height to be reduced by at most 1m.

I'm no professional but it looks like we have the possibility to go the projector route.  The costs associated with a large TV are pretty intense to compare to the likes of a good projector.

Yes that is exactly what i have and im running 120". You can go for a nice projector and screen setup for 15-20k or 20-30k if you want 4k. Contact me if you want more info.

Offline MeTsU

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2018, 06:24:48 AM »
Yes that is exactly what i have and im running 120". You can go for a nice projector and screen setup for 15-20k or 20-30k if you want 4k. Contact me if you want more info.
Thanks, will do.  Sorry to all for the slight off topic.

Offline The kock

• AVForums Member
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2018, 10:40:14 AM »
Go check out that Optoma UHD 65 its the bomb digaty

Offline Dolby

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2018, 11:45:04 AM »
me for one cant stand OLED

I'm not in the same 'can't stand it' camp as you ;)

But when I was in the market for a TV, on another forum they were saying night and day ... QLEDs with grey black levels ... dull ... marketing gimmick. They told me how Dolby Vision (which is one thing I really wanted!) was streets ahead of HDR10. They really gave the impression of this holographic image and I was told that once I had seen OLED, I could not go back to normal TV.

And to be honest? I just could not see the magical image they were chatting about. I was lucky enough to go into a store with both sets on display and spent an hour comparing the two. It's great - make no mistake - but nothing magical popped out at me :(

I think somewhere is an OLED club and everyone pats each other on the back every few weeks to commend themselves on their purchase.

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2018, 01:04:33 PM »
I'm not in the same 'can't stand it' camp as you ;)

But when I was in the market for a TV, on another forum they were saying night and day ... QLEDs with grey black levels ... dull ... marketing gimmick. They told me how Dolby Vision (which is one thing I really wanted!) was streets ahead of HDR10.

HDR10 and Dolby Vision deliver exactly the same thing, the only difference is that Dolby Vision's metadata is dynamic, so tone mapping is carried out on a scene for scene basis, whereas HDR10 sticks with a single data set thoughout a piece of content. You'd have to compare side by side to see the benefit of the dynamic approach - on the flip side, more can go wrong with a dynamic system, some content might have raised black levels in certain scenes for example.

And to be honest? I just could not see the magical image they were chatting about. I was lucky enough to go into a store with both sets on display and spent an hour comparing the two. It's great - make no mistake - but nothing magical popped out at me :(

I think somewhere is an OLED club and everyone pats each other on the back every few weeks to commend themselves on their purchase.

A showroom floor is not the place to compare TVs unfortunately. In a living room environment (conducive to critical viewing) the benefits of OLED over LCD are apparent (at least to those who are concerned about image quality).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 01:17:39 PM by KenMasters »

Offline Dolby

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2018, 01:17:24 PM »
A showroom floor is not the place to compare TVs unfortunately. In a living room environment the benefits of OLED over LCD are apparent (at least to those who are concerned about image quality).

But how apparent ?
Does anything jump out?

If I read any review on the QLED that is out there, they tend to conclude with something like 'QLED is fantastic, but OLED is ahead.' Reviews say it's a BMW vs Audi or a Ferrari vs Lamborghini ... but the way people talk it's a clear, landslide Toyota vs Porsche. Maybe I'm sitting with the Toyota in my living room right now ;)

At the end of the day there was a R15,000 difference (huge special on the QLED) and I not a chance there was a huge difference between the two. Had there been a R2,000 difference - then maybe.

There was a few features I was upset about losing on the LG - such as Dolby Vision (I'd like to be able to do both standards) and more importantly, the Netflix Atmos on the LG. But I really liked the single fibre cord to the QLED which made and the Smartthings integration.

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2018, 01:22:06 PM »
Its so hard to explain it to someone. For me the best tv i had was the 64" series 8 plasma. Then now i have the series 8 QLED, got it to where it is almost as good as the plasma but it is very good in light. When i go to my projector i dont get the same brightness but the image is more natural enjoyable. Pop in 4K HDR in the projector and its exactly as bright as the tv and juest as good bar the black levels on dark scenes.

OLED for me was the same it just does nothing special for me, put them side by side on either and i cant justify the extra and it all feels like they are trying to hard to make this work. Maybe they are onto something but for me its not there yet. 

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2018, 01:31:38 PM »
But how apparent ?
Does anything jump out?

If I read any review on the QLED that is out there, they tend to conclude with something like 'QLED is fantastic, but OLED is ahead.' Reviews say it's a BMW vs Audi or a Ferrari vs Lamborghini ... but the way people talk it's a clear, landslide Toyota vs Porsche. Maybe I'm sitting with the Toyota in my living room right now ;)

To me it is that big a difference (and I don't know what reviews you're reading). Edge lit LCDs have much counting against them, I would never be satisfied with one personally. There's DSE (dirty screen effect) created by the backlit nature of the screen that's unmissable in pans, black is not truly black and fluctuates when there are brighter elements on the screen - you can't have specular highlights without contaminating the surrounding black areas robbing HDR of much of its effectiveness. There's no pixel trailing with OLEDs as there is with LCDs. Letterboxes in films stay pitch black, they don't illuminate in sections with brighter elements on the screen. OLED just provides a more solid and satisfying image - certainly far more filmic than edge-lit LCDs.

At the end of the day there was a R15,000 difference (huge special on the QLED) and I not a chance there was a huge difference between the two. Had there been a R2,000 difference - then maybe.

These are value judgements we can only make for ourselves.

There was a few features I was upset about losing on the LG - such as Dolby Vision (I'd like to be able to do both standards) and more importantly, the Netflix Atmos on the LG. But I really liked the single fibre cord to the QLED which made and the Smartthings integration.

Really, on an edge lit LCD, doubtful you'd notice a difference - edge lit LCDs are simply not much cop at HDR. Also, they are not two different standards, there is a single standard, BT2100 (PQ EOTF) - Dolby Vision and HDR10 are two ways of delivering this standard. Dolby came up with it and gave the tech away for free as HDR10 to ensure that it would be incorporated in the Ultra HD standard - they then provide the option to manufacturers to license Dolby Vision as a more sophisticated delivery solution. If a piece of content falls within your TV's capabilities, then HDR10 and Dolby Vision should produce identical images since no tone mapping would be required.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 01:45:54 PM by KenMasters »