Author Topic: Kill the projector TV's  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Spurge

Kill the projector TV's
« on: November 04, 2018, 04:11:14 PM »
I notice Makro is offering an 86" LG for R55,000 in a Sunday Times add-in booklet.

Have we now reached "kill the projector" TV's?

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+125)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
Re: Kill the projector TV's
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 04:15:26 PM »
I suppose if you have the space, it would provide a better picture than a projector.  However, at that price, some of the top end projectors offer a stunning picture, amazing contrast and black levels
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 07:37:18 AM »
nope...to small!

Offline greglsh

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 09:09:36 PM »
Not yet

My projector is 120" so a little bit to go still.

Offline The kock

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • "I live, I Love, I slay!!" Conan the barbarian!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 04:14:46 PM »
Im also in the market at the moment and the same TV you mentioned but the 75" 4K TV is selling for under 30K at the moment and I think thats quite a lot of value. My living area wont except a projector because I have way to much natural sun light so I have to look at these options.

Offline Spurge

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 11:50:00 PM »
It is my opinion that as soon as TV's over 80" become "affordable" and common, more than 50% of the home theatre demand for projectors will disappear.

Main reasons >>>

@The kock >> TV's run for longer in light filled rooms. Their pictures are not washed out as for projectors. They last for 60,000 hours as opposed to only a 6,000 hour lifespan of a projector

Houses are becoming smaller. Walls against which TV's can be placed are just over 4m wide. An 80" TV hardly leaves space on the sides of the TV to place speakers given that TV are placed on the short walls of rectangular rooms.

Houses are becoming smaller. There are no longer spare rooms that can be dedicated to projector viewing.

Offline DeonC

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 05:16:51 AM »
They last for 60,000 hours as opposed to only a 6,000 hour lifespan of a projector

These days you get projectors that do not work with lamps, but with LEDs, and they have the same lifespan as a TV. Still expensive, but they do exist.

As far as space is concerned- I have a motorized screen. Only down when you need it. When done, it moves out of the way, so it does not actually take up any space under normal circumstances.
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 05:40:14 AM »
It is my opinion that as soon as TV's over 80" become "affordable" and common, more than 50% of the home theatre demand for projectors will disappear.

Main reasons >>>

@The kock >> TV's run for longer in light filled rooms. Their pictures are not washed out as for projectors. They last for 60,000 hours as opposed to only a 6,000 hour lifespan of a projector

Houses are becoming smaller. Walls against which TV's can be placed are just over 4m wide. An 80" TV hardly leaves space on the sides of the TV to place speakers given that TV are placed on the short walls of rectangular rooms.

Houses are becoming smaller. There are no longer spare rooms that can be dedicated to projector viewing.

You are not at all up to date with projectors...me for one cant stand OLED i think its the biggest crap ever invented. Light is also not a friend of OLED at all.

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 07:13:07 AM »
You are not at all up to date with projectors...me for one cant stand OLED i think its the biggest crap ever invented. Light is also not a friend of OLED at all.

Why? They provide a fantastic picture, and peak brightness is more than double that of a regular HDTV LCD, so it's not as though they're useless in a bright living room - though you'd need to lower gamma in order to make out more of the low level detail (not because the image would wash out as it would with a projector, but because the bright ambient environment would make it hard for your eyes to pick out detail with such a deep black level). Of course it's in a less bright living room situation that they really shine given those deep blacks, ultimately in a bright room a good Ultra HD FALD LCD is the way to go.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:18:04 AM by KenMasters »

Offline The kock

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • "I live, I Love, I slay!!" Conan the barbarian!
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 09:42:37 AM »

Main reasons >>>

Well I have ordered my LG Model: 75UK7050 for my room with lots of light and a big wall, will receive it Monday next week and let you know what its like.

Paid R28K for it so thought its good value.

Will keep  you posted

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 09:58:38 AM »
Well I have ordered my LG Model: 75UK7050 for my room with lots of light and a big wall, will receive it Monday next week and let you know what its like.

Will keep  you posted

That's the best use case for an IPS LCD - you'll get the benefit of the wider viewing angle and the higher black floor will make shadow detail easier to make out while still appearing black perceptually.

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 11:02:20 AM »
just dont like it. The glare irritates me where my Qled is much better in my bright room. Qled for me is also more striking with brightness. The burn in also makes me worry like with old plasma tvs. If it needs to be in a dark room rather go projector, tv is meant for normal rooms.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 11:05:10 AM by BiZKiT »

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 11:04:35 AM »

Will keep  you posted

Yes that makes it worth it :thumbs:

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 11:40:22 AM »
just dont like it. The glare irritates me where my Qled is much better in my bright room. Qled for me is also more striking with brightness. The burn in also makes me worry like with old plasma tvs. If it needs to be in a dark room rather go projector, tv is meant for normal rooms.

It doesn't need to be in a dark room, OLEDs are fine in normal living room condition. QLEDs are just LCD TVs, the branding is there to suggest an association with OLED, since Samsung would never actually implement a product from their chief rival.

Samsung's banking on Micro-LED displays to come to the rescue, but development is taking time. On paper it'll be the perfect marriage between the strengths of OLED and LCD.

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 05:17:42 PM »
It doesn't need to be in a dark room, OLEDs are fine in normal living room condition. QLEDs are just LCD TVs, the branding is there to suggest an association with OLED, since Samsung would never actually implement a product from their chief rival.

Samsung's banking on Micro-LED displays to come to the rescue, but development is taking time. On paper it'll be the perfect marriage between the strengths of OLED and LCD.

Ill stick with samsung just dont like oled something feels off to me.