Author Topic: What speakers?  (Read 330 times)

Offline Ol Codger

What speakers?
« on: November 03, 2018, 05:59:07 PM »
This is addressed to the fundis who can make a suggestion to help and ol' timer enjoy his music 'n movies still.

I have lost highs in both ears, lesser in the left than the right.  Dialogue in movies are a challenge but CDs and DVDs ae OK in the sense that I still love the concert hall sound but the clear tones of a piano played by Clayderman have diminished.    To overcome this handicap, I have apair of hearing aids which rhave been programmed to replace/restore some of the lost frequenices.   However, the human body adjusts.... after some 10 or so minutes, the "restored" highs gradually disappear !

My current speakers are Jamo C-809 Floor stnding units and the rears are C-80 surrounds.  The Centre is a C-80 with a SUB-650  slightly to the left of it resting on the floor.  I have found the system satisfactory for classical music. the Batman and Star Wars themes.   Clapton's gutiar is lost and so are the Rolling Stones and Elton John.

The amp is a Denon AVR-X4200W which I poresume no one will fault.  Question is: Should I replace the Jamo speakers with something that will have more of the higher frequencies - and which ones would these be? Or simply give up the idea as no one will have suffered the experience of losing his hearing to give meaniingful advice....or maybe just take in the twilight years watching series???

An Ol Codger

Online Michon

Re: What speakers?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 06:09:27 PM »
Try playing with shelving or wide Q equalisation of the high frequencies before you replace the loudspeakers.

Offline Larry

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 06:10:38 PM »
Maybe the key here is something like a DIRAC.

Others might find then the playback a bit unpleasant, but you would be able to adjust “the room” to suit your hearing?

I’m no expert though

Offline Larry

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 06:11:33 PM »
Try playing with shelving or wide Q equalisation of the high frequencies before you replace the loudspeakers.

Think we’re on the same thought process

Online Michon

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 06:18:22 PM »
I think so too. I am not familiar with AVRs, but I suspect that machine has an equalisation function that can be experimented with before spending additional money.

If this doesn't work for you and you want a speaker that has an increased high frequency sensitivity relative to the lower bands I would suggest you ask one of the diyers on the forum to build a pair of speakers for you, as I suspect no commercial product will have sufficiently increased high frequency sensitivity to address this problem.

A vintage option: a Philips full range 12" driver displays the above behaviour, but the high frequencies will be very directional coming from these so listeners at off axis positions won't experience the same increased high frequency output.

If you replace the robot with a valve amp and use it with the above I suspect Clapton's guitar will be present again. Though it may not be ideal for cinema.

A similar result can be achieved with a more conventional multi-way speaker system and your AVR if you prefer.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 06:23:14 PM by Michon »

Offline Drifter

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 04:19:48 PM »
From the 4300 you can use the Audyssey app to eq the room. It's a pity your AVR is one series too old, but still a great machine.

Offline Ol Codger

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 07:37:33 PM »
What's a DIRAC?  Audyssey is for "normal" people with 20/20 vision and 100% hearing !  Watching Netflix series is a good diversion but I still hanker for good cinematic sound if I can follow the dialogue. On my 'bucket' I'd still like to catch up with "Earthquake" if is avaialble - never really got to see it.  Thanks for all the suggestions.  I will have to pick my way thru' to see what works.

Ol Codger.

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Music lover and involved in industry
    • Airmusic
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 03:00:12 PM »
I am coming in from the side here, but I will look at the off-axis distribution of the speaker and make sure it has a wide dispersion pattern. So small mid driver(5inch) with a biggish tweeter(at least 1inch) and cross over at around 2Khz. It is not the direct sound that always matters but also the reflected sound. Furthermore, a higher sensitive design that is more responsive at lower volumes might also help.
 :2c:
Air

Offline Ol Codger

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 09:44:39 PM »
An idea has just crossed my mind... what if I take the rear speakers and place them closer to the floor units.  In other words, instead of being at the sides where surrounds would be placed, move them closer to the front.  The ol' lady will have to watch out that she doesn't trip over the added length of speaker wires across the floor!

I will experiment and report back.
Thanks for all the other suggestions.

Ol Codger

Offline Ol Codger

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 10:47:36 PM »
Murphy has just thrown a low tackle...NO HDMI Port so the AVR has to go in for repairs !

I will report back when the AVR is back.  In the meantime, would still appreciate hearing from those who may understand my problem.

Thanks for your tolerance.