Author Topic: What alignment do you use for your cartridge?  (Read 694 times)

Online 2wice

Re: What alignment do you use for your cartridge?
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 03:18:13 PM »
We wait patiently patent(ly)...  :envy:  :giggle:
I can show you a sneak peak, if you sign an NDA.... in blood. :P

Offline King_Julian_S

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2018, 06:23:29 PM »
What does that mean in practice  :thinking:

I think we should ask this question more often 

My understanding is that there will always be a compromise ( and thatís even before we talk about all other factors such as pressing quality or even the mixing desk impacts etc...)

For me the tangential arm was my favourite...
but it cannot do anything on its own , so the cart perhaps the table even the setup and a hundred other things contributed to this outcome etc etc..

The one I use is not half as sexy as BJís clearaudio stuff , but itís most probably also not even the tax value ... and then I have to consider that I really donít own collectable vinyls acquired at international auctions ... therefore i donít feel the need to setup my turntable for every LP thickness and use digital magnifying glasses to ensure that the groove is cut according to some -0.2 degree accuracy or something to make sure my stylus fits each LPís specific requirement ...  think you get the point ..

Anyway .. I tried some reasonable affordable( relative cause for me some was costing more then my systemĒ) 12Ē , 9Ē etc ... and then the terminator .. and for me the terminator was just fine to my tastes and setup ( bonus it was a gift ...).
Itís ok to be good one donít always have to be great ...
so this one is lateral .. uses air but no active driving of the arm still mechanical..
I like it.

https://www.trans-fi.com/terminatortonearm.htm

Non audiophile music lover...

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2018, 08:29:40 PM »
I can show you a sneak peak, if you sign an NDA.... in blood. :P
Blood? Small price to pay  :thumbs:

So how's the patent application going? When is this thing going to see the light of day!?!  :headbanger:
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when youíve lived a little. Miles Davis

Online 2wice

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2018, 09:32:12 PM »
Blood? Small price to pay  :thumbs:

So how's the patent application going? When is this thing going to see the light of day!?!  :headbanger:

It's going very slow, it's a bit more technical than I thought and the legal speak is frying my brain.
I'm about 1/2 way through the text, drawings are all done.
I'm uploading it for you now, should be ready in about 30 minutes.

Once you've had your fill of looking, let me know then I'll take them down again.

If this thing sees the light of day will be up to you and Charles, I trust his equipment and your ears, so if you say no, I won't pursue it any further. It's is all theoretical simulations atm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP4xXjW97ko
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 09:36:50 PM by 2wice »

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2018, 10:05:44 PM »
I'm uploading it for you now, should be ready in about 30 minutes.
  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 10:16:44 PM by fdlsys »
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry

Offline Ricketysmurf

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2018, 03:27:00 PM »
Not the Simplicity no, that's got too many bearings. I'm not knocking Thales just pointing to a compromise that can be avoided.
Something new.

Just wondering why having so many bearings is such a negative? Does this suggest tracking errors?
Audio Note
   Music's Finest Conductor

Online 2wice

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2018, 03:32:10 PM »
Just wondering why having so many bearings is such a negative? Does this suggest tracking errors?
No it does not effect tracking, but the chance of stiction is higher as well as the starting torque.
So if having less bearings is better, more is not.

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2018, 03:37:38 PM »

... chance of stiction ...
...and bearing chatter, changing friction/tension as temperature changes, complications with later balance with every additional pair of bearings...

Offline Ricketysmurf

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2018, 03:50:16 PM »
No it does not effect tracking, but the chance of stiction is higher as well as the starting torque.
So if having less bearings is better, more is not.

Surely if stiction, the friction which tends to prevent stationary surfaces from being set in motion, were present. Then it naturally follows that the arm would be dependent on the groove of the record to be the driving force to keep the cartridge moving across the record. This would logically have to lead to tracking errors would it not, mainly due to the fact that any effect of stiction would not be necessarily be constant?
Audio Note
   Music's Finest Conductor

Online 2wice

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2018, 04:11:09 PM »

Surely if stiction, the friction which tends to prevent stationary surfaces from being set in motion, were present. Then it naturally follows that the arm would be dependent on the groove of the record to be the driving force to keep the cartridge moving across the record. This would logically have to lead to tracking errors would it not, mainly due to the fact that any effect of stiction would not be necessarily be constant?

Stiction is never constant, in an ideal situation there would only be one instance of it possible , at the start of play.
If there is even a tiny concentric error the arm will oscillate giving you 2 chances of stiction per revolution as the bearing comes to rest and changes direction.
Multiply for each bearing in system.
It's all a compromise, want less stiction, reduced the preload but get more chatter.
Stiction = stylus deflection, is it audible? I'm not sure, it sure is measurable.
I don't think it has any effect on tracking errors as the position is not changed.

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2018, 08:15:43 PM »
...later balance...
lateral balance  :facepalm: