Author Topic: The new Nelson Pass Amp Camp Amps are out!  (Read 303 times)

Offline abza

The new Nelson Pass Amp Camp Amps are out!
« on: November 02, 2018, 10:26:30 AM »
The latest batch of Nelson Pass Amp Camp Amp Kits are preordering now. They go damn quickly, so if you were ever interested in putting together a Class-A 8W beast designed by the man himself, now's the chance:

https://mailchi.mp/d7f10441de60/the-amp-camp-kit-is-back-in-stock-2112609

Here's the store page:
https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/kits/products/amp-camp-amp-kit?variant=7072933085218

Shipping to SA - all in, couriers all the way, no post office - seems to be $80, which is reasonable given the weight. Also a good time to stock up on some Keratherm Red, which DIYAudio also sells ;)
NAD 3020
Monitor Audio Silver 2, Radius 90, Silver W12

Offline Skylar

Re: The new Nelson Pass Amp Camp Amps are out!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 03:06:46 PM »
That's a damn good 8W amp. Highly recommended.

Last year when the boards were out of stock and no indication of when it will be available again, I felt brave and built the whole thing DIY, even the PCB's. Pics available.
DIY all the way

Offline DACMan1

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 03:25:22 PM »
I would rather build a mini-A, but that is just my biased and uninformed opinion.

Offline Skylar

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 04:13:54 PM »
I would rather build a mini-A, but that is just my biased and uninformed opinion.

What is a mini-A?
DIY all the way

Offline Skylar

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 06:53:14 PM »

I think you mean the Aleph Mini. Sure looks like a nice amp, but the ACA is an entry level Pass amp. The sound is not entry level, though. You're welcome to listen to my ACA - and I would love to hear your opinion.  :groovy:
DIY all the way

Offline DACMan1

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 07:00:55 AM »
What is a mini-A?

I think you mean the Aleph Mini. Sure looks like a nice amp, but the ACA is an entry level Pass amp. The sound is not entry level, though. You're welcome to listen to my ACA - and I would love to hear your opinion.  :groovy:
This is what I mean:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/2001-mini.html
I think it is the same as the aleph-mini.

I think I am going to put together a Mini-A, then we can do a proper comparison to a ACA. I know the Mini-A is a lot more finicky to get to work, but I think the effort is worth it. After all, there is a reason Mr. Pass's commercial offerings differ from what he gives to the DIY community.

Offline Skylar

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 08:31:29 AM »
This is what I mean:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/2001-mini.html
I think it is the same as the aleph-mini.

I think I am going to put together a Mini-A, then we can do a proper comparison to a ACA. I know the Mini-A is a lot more finicky to get to work, but I think the effort is worth it. After all, there is a reason Mr. Pass's commercial offerings differ from what he gives to the DIY community.

I also think the Mini-A and Aleph Mini is the same thing. Can't find the specs for it, but it's certainly more complex than the ACA. I'd say just as complex as the bigger Pass amps: Aleph-J, M2 F4, F5, etc. What would put me off building one is the date (2002). Many Pass designs saw the light after that and are probably improvements. But I'm all for you building the Aleph Mini. It might turn out to be a gem. It's not a Jewel, though. That term belongs to the Pass M2 - and I'm busy building one.  :winkwink:

I think your last statement is not 100% correct. Most of the amp designs that Nelson Pass give to the public have been "commercial offerings" From Pass Labs or First Watt at one stage. So he does give out good designs, including ones that use patented topologies.
DIY all the way