Author Topic: Sneak peak into Bentley Acoustics 200 series  (Read 4091 times)

Offline rakumatr

Re: Sneak peak into Bentley Acoustics 200 series
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2018, 11:44:03 AM »
Looks great, looking forward to the detailed specs.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

"If music be the food of love, play on, Give me excess of it; that surfeiting, The appetite may sicken, and so die."
 - Twelfth Night Act 1, scene 1, 1Ė3

Offline stereosane

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2018, 11:56:55 AM »
Think Iíll go have a listen today, gonna phone Bruce now.

Offline Dreamerm6

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2018, 12:59:52 PM »
Think Iíll go have a listen today, gonna phone Bruce now.

Bruce is jumping the gun as usual.... He doesnt have anything yet!  :walled:

Offline stereosane

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2018, 01:07:25 PM »
Yep, just found out :( damn I was so excited to hear them today..

Online Drifter

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2018, 02:49:05 PM »
Well done on the new design to all involved.

I'm just not sure about the black drivers on the black piano finish. Looks a bit gansta.....

I think a matte deep red or matte dove blue will look brilliant combined with the black drivers.

Or what about an aluminium ring around the drivers (a la B&W, Tannoy, MA) just to break the black a bit? Example:

« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 03:05:03 PM by Drifter »

Offline PAPPA3

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2018, 03:20:44 PM »
Looks great.  Good bang for buck.

Critical comments - not negative, just suggestions:

Lovely finish, and magnetic grills makes tower look a lot less busy due to having no holes for grills.  Looks like you got the piano gloss finish nailed.

Plinths need improving I think.  They don't look as high end as the tower itself.  Reminiscent of the Jamo S range, which is an entry level speaker.  I know manufacturing complexity an budget are a consideration, but why not try a plinth that just stands out head and shoulders. 

Cabinet design too is a bit boxy (rectangular).  Would prefer the bespoke designs like Sonus Faber or our own ZAR Vivids which scream signature design.  All this might push the price up a bit, but quite frankly I'd rather pay a bit more for something that different.

The Platinum Audio Solos in my system have been one of the longest serving speakers I've had.  One reason is simply that they look high end.  They have spikes beneath the speakers which then rest on the stands.  Not the best designs out there, but certainly not "just another good speaker".

From all that I have heard about the Bentley sound, i think you guys should design a speaker that when looked at screams "unmistakenly Bentley".  Like the shape or not the Sonor Audio range also had some unusual shapes that set them apart.

My input would be:  Great improvement over previous products, but time to push the envelop re design.  You have a chance to make a speaker that is different, so go for it.  Even small changes like silver trim as has been suggested.  I would love to see the speaker in midnight blue, bright red or some other striking colours - though I know these are available.

Congrats on breaking into a very competitive market  :notworthy:

Online Drifter

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2018, 03:40:33 PM »
Again, a magnificent achievement.

These Raihdo speaker stands are the most beautiful stands I have ever seen.

Linked to Pappa3's comment regarding the plinths, what about designing a stand similar to this to match with the 200 series bookshelves?
I think it will look wicked.

Offline Dreamerm6

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2018, 04:36:03 PM »
Well done on the new design to all involved.

I'm just not sure about the black drivers on the black piano finish. Looks a bit gansta.....

I think a matte deep red or matte dove blue will look brilliant combined with the black drivers.

Or what about an aluminium ring around the drivers (a la B&W, Tannoy, MA) just to break the black a bit? Example:

We wanted to do the silver rings but then, EVERYONE is doing the silver rings... So we decided against it. We are GANSTA! LOL

Offline Dreamerm6

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2018, 04:36:20 PM »
Looks great.  Good bang for buck.

Critical comments - not negative, just suggestions:

Lovely finish, and magnetic grills makes tower look a lot less busy due to having no holes for grills.  Looks like you got the piano gloss finish nailed.

Plinths need improving I think.  They don't look as high end as the tower itself.  Reminiscent of the Jamo S range, which is an entry level speaker.  I know manufacturing complexity an budget are a consideration, but why not try a plinth that just stands out head and shoulders. 

Cabinet design too is a bit boxy (rectangular).  Would prefer the bespoke designs like Sonus Faber or our own ZAR Vivids which scream signature design.  All this might push the price up a bit, but quite frankly I'd rather pay a bit more for something that different.

The Platinum Audio Solos in my system have been one of the longest serving speakers I've had.  One reason is simply that they look high end.  They have spikes beneath the speakers which then rest on the stands.  Not the best designs out there, but certainly not "just another good speaker".

From all that I have heard about the Bentley sound, i think you guys should design a speaker that when looked at screams "unmistakenly Bentley".  Like the shape or not the Sonor Audio range also had some unusual shapes that set them apart.

My input would be:  Great improvement over previous products, but time to push the envelop re design.  You have a chance to make a speaker that is different, so go for it.  Even small changes like silver trim as has been suggested.  I would love to see the speaker in midnight blue, bright red or some other striking colours - though I know these are available.

Congrats on breaking into a very competitive market  :notworthy:

Thanks for the input. Problem is everything mentioned, although great, are extremely expensive which will push the range into a much higher price bracket, something we want to avoid. Bentley Acoustics is not only about better sound , but more importantly - better sound for less $$$.
With 300 series we can go for a sonus look with extra little bits and thingies that will make them look even better. But from a cost perspective this is what we can offer with the 200 series.
Like ive said from the beginning: "its easy building expensive speakers, not so easy building an affordable speaker which performs like its expensive counterparts".

So for +- R35K retail is an extremely well finished speaker which sounds better than speakers more than 4 times expensive.

Can we do a better looking speaker? Off course! But where do you draw the line? Retail 40? Retail 80K? Retail R150k?

So the question is, how much more will you pay for the suggested changes?

« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 04:46:20 PM by Dreamerm6 »

Offline Dolby

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2018, 04:43:44 PM »
I actually like the angular and black look.

It reminds me of a larger version of my speakers actually :

Offline Dreamerm6

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2018, 04:50:07 PM »
Again, a magnificent achievement.

These Raihdo speaker stands are the most beautiful stands I have ever seen.

Linked to Pappa3's comment regarding the plinths, what about designing a stand similar to this to match with the 200 series bookshelves?
I think it will look wicked.

OMW they are gorgeous!! Probably R20K a set?

Offline stormbringer101

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2018, 05:17:25 PM »
They look brilliant . A speaker should be  heard not seen  , I'm sure these will truly dissappear in the room and when you do go closer to look ,  you will see the finish and quality .
I like them .

Online Drifter

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2018, 05:20:39 PM »
OMW they are gorgeous!! Probably R20K a set?

Starts at USD2,8k so the equivalent of R40k.

https://blinkhighend.com/shop/accessories/raidho-stands-pair/

If it is possible to design and build something like that at around R5k to R8k a set to sell with the bookshelves ... man, you will have a winner.

Offline Dreamerm6

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2018, 11:22:15 PM »
And there they killed another good interaction thread  by moving it to the dark corner of nowhere...

Offline kenvanraas

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2018, 11:31:41 PM »
?