Author Topic: AVR Zone 2 Pre-out question  (Read 448 times)

Offline Audioholic

AVR Zone 2 Pre-out question
« on: October 19, 2018, 12:56:50 PM »
Hi All,
My av receiver has a zone 2 preout (only). I want to use a power amp to drive my main speakers, using input from the zone 2 preout. The intended use is for movies, so i still require the processing effect for the front speakers. The receiver is an Onkyo TX-NR676. Has anyone here run such a setup - if so, interested to know the results? Thanks.
Stereo: Pioneer, pioneer and more pioneer, Valve Audio, Sonor Audio, Martin Logan, Audiolab
HT: Onkyo, Energy, Velodyne

Offline FranZAR

Re: AVR Zone 2 Pre-out question
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 01:18:59 PM »
The problem would be that the main zone and zone 2 will have independent volume controls from each other. My NAD also has a seperate remote control for zone 2, so don't think it will work.
Exclame 150|Whisper|Croak SL1200|Vivere|Sonor Claro
Denon X4500H|MA Silver 200|MA Silver C150|Polk RC60i

Offline Drifter

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 01:31:58 PM »
Why?
Are the onboard amps for the main speakers not suitable?

I'm assuming you want to use zone 2 pre-outs as the main left and right channels don't have pre-outs?

Zone 2 is usually stereo only. You want be able to add it into the surround sound processing setup.

Offline Audioholic

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 01:46:29 PM »
Why?
Are the onboard amps for the main speakers not suitable?

I'm assuming you want to use zone 2 pre-outs as the main left and right channels don't have pre-outs?

Zone 2 is usually stereo only. You want be able to add it into the surround sound processing setup.

The onboard amps are sufficient. Was just curious - i have a spare power amp and thought i could put it to use. Wanted to get an avr with preouts but was out of my budget. Thanks for the confirmation about the stereo bit :thumbs:
Stereo: Pioneer, pioneer and more pioneer, Valve Audio, Sonor Audio, Martin Logan, Audiolab
HT: Onkyo, Energy, Velodyne