Author Topic: HAND PLANE  (Read 481 times)

Offline Rhino

HAND PLANE
« on: October 21, 2018, 04:39:49 PM »
I am looking for a hand planer.
Have been at numerous Builders, but none have stock and there attitude to assist in not there.
Does anyone else have an idea where I can get one without breaking the bank.
Polk Audio Tsi500 - Fronts, Tsi200 - Bookshelf, Tsi100 - Front Height,  Cs10 - Centre, Integra DTR 50.5 AV Receiver,Sony BDP-S370 Blu-Ray, LG 3D Blu-Ray, Energy Veritas 10" Sub, Clavel 3 Way speaker

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+119)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
Re: HAND PLANE
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 04:49:19 PM »
Here - https://www.tools4wood.co.za/product-category/hand-tools/hand-planing/

Work on R1500 odd

You often see them at car boot sales.   The Riding for the Disabled in Constantia sale was yesterday and one fellow had one on his table for R200.  Looked perfect, no chunks out the blade

Edit - phoned a friend who has 3.  A Stanley hand plane in its original box and he says it is perfect.  He wants R300.  I can go and fetch it and send you pics if you are interested
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 04:51:54 PM by chrisc »
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline Coenoes

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 09:44:11 PM »
Have been at numerous Builders, but none have stock and there attitude to assist in not there.
I have a couple of different sizes. I can loan you if you need it just for  a once off job.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline Rhino

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 09:05:37 AM »
I have a couple of different sizes. I can loan you if you need it just for  a once off job.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thank you for the offer, but I prefer rather to buy one.
Polk Audio Tsi500 - Fronts, Tsi200 - Bookshelf, Tsi100 - Front Height,  Cs10 - Centre, Integra DTR 50.5 AV Receiver,Sony BDP-S370 Blu-Ray, LG 3D Blu-Ray, Energy Veritas 10" Sub, Clavel 3 Way speaker

Offline SeanS

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 09:55:30 AM »
Thank you for the offer, but I prefer rather to buy one.

Unless you have experience with one perhaps take up the offer to try.. They come in all shapes and sizes for different reasons so you may need more than one, I have 2.. all I manage to do with them in general is screw things up so find them of little use  :giggle:

Electric planers can be quite efficient.

Offline Rhino

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 10:44:21 AM »
Unless you have experience with one perhaps take up the offer to try.. They come in all shapes and sizes for different reasons so you may need more than one, I have 2.. all I manage to do with them in general is screw things up so find them of little use  :giggle:

Electric planers can be quite efficient.

I understand what you are saying, I do not like to use other peoples equipment especially if something happens to it, for example you my bump it off a table etc.
That is why I prefer to buy one, see if it works and if not then I have something good to look at in the works space.

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 08:55:47 AM »

Buy one at a pawn shop - Record or Stanley. A No 4 will start you off and should cost R400 odd.

Listen to the wise old gentleman - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLg01dj5g04
Herman

~ To heal the soul is to embark on a new journey. ~

Offline Rhino

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 11:12:02 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.
I will have a look at the video clip as soon as possible.
I did get one from Gelmar to play around with.

Will keep all posted as soon as everything is going better this side (Work Related).

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 12:49:06 PM »
I would be lost without one.
I second mygoggie's post about the no4 Stanley. It is a good all-round plane and easy to use.
I purchased mine new for about R500 from Bulders.

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 02:17:52 PM »
The old Stanley, Record planes of 1890 - 1930 are the best. In this game, "newer is better" does not count, unless you spend like R6.5 for a No 4 Lee Nielson.

Also never ever, never ever, never ever and never ever lend your plane out. It will come back damaged and dull ....

You can ask @JohnnyIC as well. He has a million gazillion hand planes.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 02:24:16 PM by mygoggie »
Herman

~ To heal the soul is to embark on a new journey. ~