The little turntable that can

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyP

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
So I bought an Apprentice Lite TT after the auction to try it out (and BJ gave me a good deal and some monies to a good cause  :mates:), pretty much like a Pro-ject or Rega entry TT which is a good thing but never going to really compete with my classics.  It comes with the zephyr C50 already fitted which I?d say is about rega carbon/AT91 equivalent.  Thought I?d try changing things up a bit.  Tried the Benz Micro but it?s a bit light and the TT weight is set for the C50 and can only move backwards (lighter) so tracking was not that great.  Step forward the Sumiko Pearl (a full gram heavier in body than the C50).  Fitted and adjusted it with a protractor, slid it back a little more than the C50 and tweaked the counterweight so tracking is about 2g.  Turns the turntable into an absolute giant killer.  Added a standard Rega belt as well (seems slightly better than the stock belt) and detail, clarity, soundstage and bass are magnificent.  It?s outshining an RP3 with white belt upgrade and Ortofon 2m red.

Truly the little TT that can (and it?s fire engine red-what?s not to like)

Latest posts