Author Topic: Klerksdorp Record Store..maybe  (Read 1486 times)

Offline Johnnie

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Klerksdorp Record and Audio Store.
Re: Klerksdorp Record Store..maybe
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2018, 09:58:54 PM »
Ah great advice thanks didnt consider the bending down part..I will be selling new and used hifi as part of the business model not keeping new equipment in the store only the basic second hand stuff..

I did put up a wanted ad for music or film paraphernalia lying around or for sale even..

I will also do vinyl nights after hours  once a week so people can come see and listen and ask lots of questions.

Also focusing on local artists pressing and local manufacturers supporting the Made in South Africa positivity!

Then lastly I want to do a acoustic night gig for local artists but no flipping covers allowed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline itscraig

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2018, 08:51:46 AM »
very nicely done
I wish you every success

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2018, 01:01:14 PM »
Love the enthusiasm that you have and the look.
Hoping you are going to be successful and happy.  :thumbs:

Offline Johnnie

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2018, 01:26:43 PM »
UPDATE:

1. Managed to negotiate a slightly lower rent today.
2. Took the measurements for a quote on manufacturing the record shelves(roughly 36 meters of records)
3. Got a quote for floor paint as at the moment there is only bare cement floor which can also work for now so might leave it that way.
4. Got a quote for wallpaper designed with album covers (fooking expensive unfortunately but if I can manage it, it will look very nice but only on one wall for now.)

Offline JamesB

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2018, 02:48:03 PM »
UPDATE:
4. Got a quote for wallpaper designed with album covers (fooking expensive unfortunately but if I can manage it, it will look very nice but only on one wall for now.)

Why not just cover the walls with the real thing???  You have after all loads of records and album covers, just a matter of being a little creative.  So as not to diminish your sellable stock for this endeavor, you can use damaged and unplayable records, or display the album covers (with the records inside) on the walls.  e.g. if you naiil/glue a 1x1 inch piece of wood along the length of your wall you effectively have a ledge to display some records...

Offline HBAutomation

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2018, 03:12:23 PM »
There must be plenty Springbok and the like in that pile you can use for this.

I wish you well with this endeavour Johnnie. :2thumbs:
When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take It!            [Yogi Berra]

Offline Ju_dy@RT

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2018, 03:37:30 PM »
Or floors :) saw this ... thought of you !

Offline Ju_dy@RT

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2018, 03:52:53 PM »
Why not just cover the walls with the real thing???  You have after all loads of records and album covers, just a matter of being a little creative.  So as not to diminish your sellable stock for this endeavor, you can use damaged and unplayable records, or display the album covers (with the records inside) on the walls.  e.g. if you naiil/glue a 1x1 inch piece of wood along the length of your wall you effectively have a ledge to display some records...

I agree... If you going to spend money on something, at least make it an investment/resellable.  If you cant resell it, it needs to be cheap... or idealy free (like dud Lp's)

Even giant block mounted pictures (even  those very same wallpaper pictures you had in mind) , posters etc will work.

Online JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2018, 05:18:35 PM »
Thin shelves with a small groove or lip allow display of records, just paint the walls behind.  Create a blackboard on the wall with paint and put a frame around it behind the counter to advertise upcoming events.  Have a cork board for local music related ads and with a few frames sleeves or posters you wonít need to shell out for the wall paper
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline Johnnie

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2018, 05:53:37 PM »
Some awesome ideas thanks gents and lady!

The horizontal display strip along the one wall I was thinking of displaying all the latest sealed arrivals or all the latest local artists albums as I want to push that theme of local musicians and labels

I might just go that route and use five or six horizontal  wood strips evenly spaced on top of each other on the other side then stack it with records thanks for the idea guys!

That floor is really cool but I have no idea how much that epoxy type finish costs per m2?

I have posted a wanted add for paraphernalia eg. posters, books, magazines etc.. I have scoured the local shops but nothing really usable but will keep searching.. 

Offline JoziNic

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2018, 12:39:15 PM »
Some awesome ideas thanks gents and lady!

The horizontal display strip along the one wall I was thinking of displaying all the latest sealed arrivals or all the latest local artists albums as I want to push that theme of local musicians and labels

I might just go that route and use five or six horizontal  wood strips evenly spaced on top of each other on the other side then stack it with records thanks for the idea guys!

That floor is really cool but I have no idea how much that epoxy type finish costs per m2?

I have posted a wanted add for paraphernalia eg. posters, books, magazines etc.. I have scoured the local shops but nothing really usable but will keep searching..

The epoxy is damned expensive (also consider that most retail rentals will have a clause that you must return the space back to the state you got it in, so not saying yours does, but make sure whatever you do it isn't going to cost you a whack of cash to get it back the way you got it...a friend of mine learnt this the hardway, spent a fortune on tiling, shopfitting, and getting his retail store to how he wanted it, when moving many years later had to get the space back to how they were presenting new spaces in the same location, and man it cost him more than his original shopfitting)

the wooden strips with record covers or records looks amazing! Calexico in Milpark has this all over & it looks really great
This stereo record cannot be played on old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with. If you are in possession of such equipment please hand it into the nearest police station

Offline Ju_dy@RT

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2018, 01:42:18 PM »
^^ Agreed... The "vinyl flooring" ... is far to permanant for any rented retail space. Idealy most fitting should paint only, or "bolt on".

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2018, 03:53:34 PM »
Showing collectible covers of LPs you canít sell imo isnít the way. 

120mm deep shelving with an edge spaced an LP height apart.   Put the stock you want noticed on there.  Wall covering sorted.   
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Johnnie

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2018, 04:47:42 PM »

LPís are in the shop, still waiting for the shelves....we are opening the 1st Desember 2018!!

Offline Johnnie

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2018, 04:48:27 PM »