HD800 DAC/Amp Recommendations

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigAl

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi there

I've had to transition from a stereo setup to headphones, and need some advice on suitable hardware for my setup.

I've been using a Musical Fidelity M1 HPA amp, but with a VLink/V-DAC front-end, as I wasn't impressed with the M1's USB input. Playing FLAC files using DeadBeef or foobar.

I got the Shure 1540's and am happy with these for casual listening, but miss the performance of my previous system with the VA Predator driving Sonor Lyras.

A family member was able to source a pair of HD800's for me, which I thought would bring me much closer to the SQ that I was missing. However, I found these less entertaining, and after reading up, realised that these cans need much better front-end to really perform.

So, looking to all you seasoned listeners for some recommendations. I would prefer a single DAC/amp unit, as I have limited space in the bedroom.

From what I've read so far, there seem to be options from Headroom, Schiit, April Maximus, but what about others? I would like something that would sound very detailed yet entertaining. Also, should I consider the balanced cabling option?

I'd like to get something within R10k but can maybe push this a bit if I need cable, for example. That said, if great performance ccan be had for less, I'm open to value suggestions. Ideally, I guess buying second-hand would provide best value.

Thanks in advance.