It's true: Cables DO make a difference!

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User121314

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
:sh1tstirrer:

So today I experienced firsthand what a difference cables can make!

Purchased a DS-DAC-100m from [member=664]Wolla[/member] which arrived this morning - to be used with a laptop into a Pioneer A209 from [member=15057]BobsYourUncle[/member] to my newly acquired Boston A26's.

Skived off this afternoon to set everything up - laptop uses MusicBee which gets the music files from a shared drive on another PC.

All was wonderful, until I tried a few Hi-Res files. Snap, crackle, pop - I couldn't decide whether I was listening to Rice Krispies or a really bad vinyl......

Chopped & changed with my DS-DAC-100, DS-Dac-100 was 100% on both, 100m was crackly irrespective of PC or Laptop.

Confusion set in - I have never experienced this with the DS-DAC-100, so why now with the 100m? Was about to phone [member=664]Wolla[/member] & ask "WTF is up?" when I decided to try a different USB cable...........

Problem solved. Seems, for whatever reason, the supplied USB cable did not like my laptop or PC.

DS-DAC-100 & 100m have different connectors, so use different cables, and the cable for the 100m was a loose fit. New cable & hey presto! all is good.

So, the next time anyone tells you cables make no difference................. refer them to this thread!  :point: