Cracklin' Rosie

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mafioso

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello da :)

I have a problem with the Sansui 350 receiver in that it 'crackles' intermittently. Sometimes on one channel, sometimes the other and sometimes both.

I have spent a lot of time to thoroughly clean all importantant bits. To clean potentiometers, switches and other controls, I stripped all casework and put newspaper under the controls to prevent excess contact cleaner and WD40 from running where it shouldn't and paid extra attention to the volume pot. I applied the rinsing treatment and also used both compressed air and my vac to get all the gunk out from everywhere.

The crackling volume increases as the volume is turned up and is evident both with the tuner and with the ampflier (phono, etc).

The only bits I have replaced were all illumination (lots of those) and fitted a new power cord. The receiver was first plugged into the mains once everything was clean and dry and through a 100W lightbulb for a couple of hours with appropriate resistors at the binding posts.

Until now, no capacitors or resistors were replaced and I realise I will have to do this at some stage.

Do you think there could still be some muck inside the volume pot? On powering down for example, I turn the volume down almost at the same time. When doing this, I can hear crackling on decay as the volume is turned to zero.

Where do you think I should start looking for the problem?

Thanks for your advices.

mafioso

Attachments

• IMG_1410.JPG
    IMG_1410.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 75