Author Topic: Nab adaptors pls explain  (Read 3944 times)

Offline marcochezzi

Re: Nab adaptors pls explain
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2018, 01:15:54 PM »
Truth be said I would not even have used the Teak adaptor section had I been a little less daft and bought 90mm diameter aluminium stock instead of 82mm...  :walled:

That way I would have machined the entire part including the central spool keyhole out of solid aluminium, and I would then have used pressed in stainless steel pins as the 3 locating lugs for the reel itself, but since I had already bought the damn stuff, I might as well make use of the teak part in its very limited involvement..

Still, I'll make some more at a later date, I have some fresh ideas spinning up in my head..
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 01:19:57 PM by marcochezzi »

Offline marcochezzi

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2019, 09:14:04 AM »
Reviving this old thread, finally got to purchase myself a Revox B77, cannot wait to get her up and running, she needs some TLC but with patience and grit I believe she will relive to sing another song..

Spent some time at the lathe yesterday and turned up a pair of aluminium horns / spools / handles for the original Revox NAB Adapters, came out perfectly fine, only problem is one of the two runs wobbly because of the plastic NAB adapter itself, seems the outer locking ring on the adapter is a little out of parallel to the base piece.. :Ooooooh:

I want to see if the unit can be pulled apart and reset, probably just a bit of grit or off-cut that got into the adapter when she was produced all those years ago causing the issue.. i absolutely do not want to damage the adapter, so if she cannot be corrected, then I will compensate by re-machining the horn base very slightly out of true to compensate, but true she will eventually run..

The black one in the background is what I used as dimension reference as I believe (assume) they are within tolerance of the Revox / Studer units..

Offline Steerpike

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2019, 03:13:36 PM »

I want to see if the unit can be pulled apart and reset, probably just a bit of grit or off-cut that got into the adapter when she was produced all those years ago causing the issue.. i absolutely do not want to damage the adapter, so if she cannot be corrected, then I will compensate by re-machining the horn base very slightly out of true to compensate, but true she will eventually run..

They were made by BA&SF, and not created with the intention of taking them apart. I've never seen an opened one that was not completely broken in the process (I never tried to open one).
But you can wash them without opening, and introduce Teflon spray after drying, which restores excellent smoothness.

Offline marcochezzi

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2019, 03:17:28 PM »
They were made by BA&SF, and not created with the intention of taking them apart. I've never seen an opened one that was not completely broken in the process (I never tried to open one).
But you can wash them without opening, and introduce Teflon spray after drying, which restores excellent smoothness.

Thank you Steerpike, I will take a close look at the unit and give it a good clean, just maybe something resolves itself.. otherwise its back to the lathe for corrective corrections, certainly do not want to damage the only two units I own... :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline jadedgem

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2020, 12:14:56 PM »
I 3d printed my own NAB adapters'

I also printed trumpets. I just need to print the other parts with the clip and adapter part now and then just sand and finnish them in metallic.