Author Topic: Nab adaptors pls explain  (Read 378 times)

Offline King_Julian_S

Nab adaptors pls explain
« on: October 13, 2018, 08:34:05 PM »
Hello masters.

Pls explain why some reels use NAB adaptors and others not..

Are there any benefits either way.

Asking cause I would like to know if itís worthwhile trying to get for my Akai M9.

Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Agaton Sax

Re: Nab adaptors pls explain
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 10:32:27 PM »
Huh ? Not sue anybody knows why? but there are 2 types of hubs on tape recorders: Trident and NAB. Most consumer and pro machines have trident hubs. Plastic reels in general have trident  holes while most metal reels use NAB holes. Is just the way it is. You can always run a NAB reel on a trident hub with an adapter but not the other way round.

Trident
IMG_0183 by jdza, on Flickr
[/url]DSCN5327 by jdza, on Flickr
Those fancy metal NAB adapters one sees in all Audiophile installations are merely metal extensions on plastic NAB adapters. They were designed to ease tape manipulation  during cut and  stick tape type editing

If you are really brave you can use the European AEG Bobby type.These disperse with tape flanges altogether.

In my tests of Wow and Flutter on machines I have found that these adapters can contribute to W&F,so choose carefully.

Offline King_Julian_S

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 10:13:31 AM »
Tx sire..
so I guess itís something to do with wow and flutter etc ... ?

so which solutions have u found that works ok (mine is only an Akai ) and I like it ....I.e. good enough for me ...as is std.. , I was just wondering what happens if I get reels with these huge NAB type requirements.. hence I want to check if I can maybe get my hands on something thatís known to work ok  ...

Currently Iím limited to this (pic off the net)

Or should I not bother too much about that  unnecessarily ?

Offline Agaton Sax

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 11:36:41 AM »
Tx sire..
so I guess itís something to do with wow and flutter etc ... ?

so which solutions have u found that works ok (mine is only an Akai ) and I like it ....I.e. good enough for me ...as is std.. , I was just wondering what happens if I get reels with these huge NAB type requirements.. hence I want to check if I can maybe get my hands on something thatís known to work ok  ...

Currently Iím limited to this (pic off the net)

Or should I not bother too much about that  unnecessarily ?

If you want to play metal  10 inch reels ,you'll need the adapters. Revox and Otari both had very nice ones. Ampex and MCI  machines do not have the spring loaded lock that the mentioned adapters need ,so rely on a different adapter. The M9 only accept  7 inch reels. Personally I have never seen a 7 inch NAB reel,so I cannot foresee any application where you'll need a NAB adapter.

NAB reel vs Trident

IMG_0008 by jdza, on Flickr

NAB adapters. Front left Revox,Right Otari, Back left and right. Ampex,MCI, Scully

IMG_0003 by jdza, on Flickr

Ampex Trident reel spindle
IMG_0004 by jdza, on Flickr

Studer Trident reel spindle
IMG_0006 by jdza, on Flickr

Offline King_Julian_S

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 01:48:39 PM »
Ok
So 7Ē not really required then.

Tx meneer , appreciate the detail and advise.

Offline Baseline

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 10:14:16 PM »
I speak under correction, but shall attempt to provide some clarification regarding NAB hub adaptors. Prior to the 1950s, various manufacturers around the world designed machines and reels of tape to be played on them. Each manufacturer basically did their own thing and as a result, the spindle sizes varied from manufacturer to manufacturer.

By the early 1950s, the reel to reel format was growing in popularity and the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) was formed to standardize the industry. As a result, tape machines for the domestic market were primarily designed with a 1/4 inch spindle over which the reel fit. This spindle was known as a Cine Spindle also later referred to as the Trident Spindle. Reels for the domestic market were 3, 5 and 7 inches in diameter and used 1/4 inch tape.

The professional market / recording studios, primarily used 10.5 inch reels of 1/4 inch tape that fit over a 3 inch in diameter spindle known as a NAB hub and the reels were referred to as NAB reels. In order to facilitate the interchangeable use of tapes and machines, NAB hub adaptors were created. Later, further advancements in the professional arena led to the creation of 1/2 inch, 1 inch and 2 inch wide tapes for the development of multi-track recording, though the central NAB hub remained at 3 inches and the tape reel diameter remained 10.5 inches.

So... in conclusion, the NAB hub adaptor allows for the use of the larger 10.5 inch reels on a domestic machine. By the way... those fancy metal extensions to NAB hubs are known as trumpets.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 10:22:29 PM by Baseline »
.It's all about the Music.

Offline King_Julian_S

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 10:39:31 PM »
Tx Bass

Offline Steerpike

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 11:20:54 PM »
European studios persisted in using the cine (CCIR) hubs right into the 1980s.
A serious disadvantage I've found is that you cannot carry the cine-hub reel easily without squeezing it and damaging the tape edges. An NAB reel is much easier to handle without putting pressure on the flanges.

Both TDK and Philips made a metal 7-inch reel with an NAB hub:

This is NOT my machine illustrated above, and it has some serious fault with tape tension - look how the damping arms are pulled right up to their end-stops!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 11:23:05 PM by Steerpike »

Offline marcochezzi

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 06:38:46 PM »
So having brought a pair of black Darklab NAB adapters back home with me from my recent trip to Italy I was left with my original Teak Tascam adapters which while they work perfectly, I never liked them much... Since I find it hard to leave things well alone, modification time came knocking once again, which lead to me purchasing a chunk of aluminium yesterday, and got to work this morning making myself a set...

They are not rotate to clamp anymore, these simply locate the reel onto the spool, so full removal of reel & adapter is needed when changing to a new reel..

I stripped the Teak adapters and used their back end after some machining of the plastic adapter to make things fit on the aluminium horn.

Everything runs true and properly, the brass inlay was not originally intended to be there, but I made a mess of setting up my Mill DRL and landed up making a mess of the same 12 blind holes in the aluminium body, so the simplest solution was to cover the mess & mistake with a piece of brass and redo..

I think they came out not half bad at all......

The horn is just machined and rubbed down with some scotchbrite pad material, I will polish them when I get around to purchasing whatever one needs to polish aluminium...

« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 07:08:26 PM by marcochezzi »

Offline marcochezzi

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 06:42:56 PM »
@ King_Julian, apologies on the hijack...., itís a Nab thing.. :thumbs: :dop:

Offline Baseline

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 08:07:07 PM »
@marcochezzi, very nice NABs and deck you have there.
.It's all about the Music.

Offline marcochezzi

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2018, 09:15:21 PM »
@marcochezzi, very nice NABs and deck you have there.

Thank you Sir!

Offline King_Julian_S

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 09:18:26 AM »
@ King_Julian, apologies on the hijack...., itís a Nab thing.. :thumbs: :dop:
Lol no problem man ... yeah itís a nab thing ..
At least now I know someone to bother for certain Alu work I have sitting in my imagination ...
assuming you made those yourself ?
Awesome well done

Offline marcochezzi

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 10:58:57 AM »
Lol no problem man ... yeah itís a nab thing ..
At least now I know someone to bother for certain Alu work I have sitting in my imagination ...
assuming you made those yourself ?
Awesome well done

Yep, proud to say I made them all myself thank you, was given the day off from SWAMBO yesterday so I had some free time in the garage and turned them up, great way to waste a perfectly good Sunday in my humble opinion..!! :clap:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 11:02:11 AM by marcochezzi »

Offline Steerpike

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 12:16:59 PM »
Interesting!
The Teac hub adapters were very, very cheap compared to the Studers back in the 1980s.... if I recall right Teacs were about R35 per pair, the Studers over R150.

All hub adapter benefit from a squirt of Teflon spray into the interior.