Author Topic: Technics RS-B905 won't eject  (Read 595 times)

Offline dragonmts

Technics RS-B905 won't eject
« on: December 07, 2019, 08:54:09 AM »
Weird thing happened. Was listening to a few cassettes and all functions were working 100% for around an hour of listening to various cassettes until I tried to eject the cassette that was in the deck. The door would not respond and RWD & FFWD wouldn't work, although the play function still worked. Both reels were rotating in play function, so the take-up reel was working.
I took the top cover off and from what I can see, the belts all seem to look okay, none are broken or melted, but the eject button won't even push in as if something is behind it preventing it from working. Spring attached to the button is still in place. It also did not eat the tape so I'm stumped!
If music be the food of life, play on!

Offline kritzingerf

Re: Technics RS-B905 won't eject
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 11:40:43 AM »
not a mechanical expert, but here goes from the bits I have learned...

Some decks have a mechanical 'stop' preventing the eject button from working when the deck is in play/fwd/rew mode.   This is usually in the form a a physical (plastic or metal) bar or lever preventing it from moving.

As I say, usually linked to the play/fwd/rew buttons.   Same goes for the fwd/rew button.  there is often a mechanical disconnect to prevent it from activating when you in play mode (unless the deck has cue ability)

So, my guess is going to be that some bar or actuator got stuck after the last play, likely due to gummy grease, and because it is not moving to where it should be (after playing stopped) that is preventing the eject and fwd/rew functions to work.

The challenge would be to remove the whole deck mechanism, with a cassette still stuck in the bay.  but that is what I would guess is needed.  a strip, clean and relube with new good grease and light oils as appropriate

regards and good luck!

Francois