Temptation leads to Impulse Buying Boston A26

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User121314

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Further to this thread https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,75137.0.html where I was searching for a set of bookshelf speakers & then sent mine for repair.

I was at Fourways Crossing early this morning, walked past Digital Experience, & as I was a few minutes early for my meeting at Fournos I figured I'd pop in and window shop.

Fatal mistake. A set of Boston A26 were on display hooked up to a Rotel integrated. Had a listen. WOW. Impressive for their size & for the price too.

End result. I went home with a pair.

As justification the meeting went well, deal was concluded so the meeting paid for the speakers and then some!  :ROFLMAO:

Got home, hooked them up to a Pioneer A209 & have had them playing ever since. I'm no audiophile & my hearing is way past it's best, but to my ears the bass on these is better than the HD7's, less boomy & yet seems to go lower. Vocals are clear and sharp - both male & female. 5FDP "Sham Pain" & "House of the rising sun" are glorious. Highs don't shriek, no excessive sibilance on Mumford & Sons tracks.

Egmont overture is sublime too, as is Luis Cobos Opera Magna.

Soundstage is wider than what I expected. The office is small - 5m wide x 3m deep & the speakers are positioned on the top of bookshelves, so 2m above ground on the 5m wall - hardly ideal, but it is what it is.

Trompie is a happy camper.

Not sure what I'm going to do with the HD7's when I get them back though!  :nfi:

Latest posts