Schiit Modi 3 DAC review

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cross_over

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Have just had a visit from the Fedex fairies today with my new toy. The Schiit Modi 3 has just been released and I thought forum members might be interested in a review.

For a bit of context, I owned an NAD M51 dac for a number of years, followed by a two year stint with a NuPrime uDSD.

I quite enjoyed the NAD M51, but sold it when I heard the uDSD which got about 80% of the way there for a fraction of the price...and it had DSD capability which I at the time thought to be important.

My system currently consists of a purpose built silent pc running JRiver MC 19. Amplifier is a recently purchased Electrocompaniet ECI3 integrated and Apogee Centaur Minor hybrid ribbon speakers.

First impressions of the Schiit are positive. The sound is somewhat more sophisticated and refined than the uDSD and bass is definitely deeper. There is a laidback character to the sound which I find unusual and I need to do more listening to decide if it is a negative or positive.

Will post some more impressions once the Modi has run in a bit.