Author Topic: Any car experts here....need some advice  (Read 663 times)

Offline Neil

Any car experts here....need some advice
« on: October 11, 2018, 03:35:52 PM »
ok so my wife drives a 2012 nissan qashqai (old shape) and we recently replaced the turbo ...just for the turbo R40k!!!We still have the old turbo....now i have asked a few places - price for same turbo is R15k - nissan nailed us big time.  Anyways what i want to do is refurb the old unit - lets say it costs R3.5k to refurb and sell it for R10k - question is i'm not going to refurb it if i cant sell it, how do i go about this - will nissan buy it from me? or must i put it on facebook...or gumtree etc etc

I even asked if the turbo people who refurbed it wouldnt buy it off me - they said no.

or am i being crazy?  i can make a quick R7k here...
HT FRONT 7.1 - Yamaha767, b&w302, AE Compact 1, yamaha satellites.
ZONE2 - Polk tsx110b
HT Bedroom 6.1- Onkyo 700e, SONY SS-CN3 Centre, Boston 23csii Fronts, yamaha satellites.

Online chrisc

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
Re: Any car experts here....need some advice
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 04:20:39 PM »
Gumtree is your best bet.   Not sure about the "quick" bit though
Even duct tape canít fix stupidÖ but it can muffle the sound

Offline BJ

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 05:23:31 PM »
ok so my wife drives a 2012 nissan qashqai (old shape) and we recently replaced the turbo ...just for the turbo R40k!!!We still have the old turbo....now i have asked a few places - price for same turbo is R15k - nissan nailed us big time.  Anyways what i want to do is refurb the old unit - lets say it costs R3.5k to refurb and sell it for R10k - question is i'm not going to refurb it if i cant sell it, how do i go about this - will nissan buy it from me? or must i put it on facebook...or gumtree etc etc

I even asked if the turbo people who refurbed it wouldnt buy it off me - they said no.

or am i being crazy?  i can make a quick R7k here...

You think HiFi is bad, until you run into Car problems. Bought a VW Caddy brand new 2008. Just out of warranty the gearbox gave problems.

Took it to the dealer in Swest for service and fix the gearbox. Got quote same day, to replace gearbox R45K plus then labor charge. (Told me...They donít work on items,just replace) I said to the guy youíre crazy, the entire vehicle cost me R145K...no good.

That evening spoke to a friend, who phoned a friend, got me onto his friend. Called him in the morning, based in Stikland. Work on VWís amongst others. He said to me he will collect the vehicle at the dealer with low bed. Knew exactly the problem and will have it fixed for me in no time.

I went to dealership, told them I have someone collecting the vehicle later to have it repaired. The workshop Forman came to me, said he just had his most senior mechanic for training on gearboxes, and that they are prepared to help...

I just paid the normal service R2850+- and left, didnít even wanted to entertain his new found eagerness to help.

Car got picked up, Took it to his workshop in Stikland, pulled the gearbox, called me the next day. One of the bearings gone, due to heavy loads. Said to me it is common on the Caddies. Replaced all 4 bearings, set of 4, Put gearbox back, filled with new oil.

Total cost R4500 all in....

SHARKS

This happened around 160K Km. Still have the unit. Use it for normal runaround,. Still same gearbox....now 556K km going strong

Sorry to hear you got done by......lot of Hifi you could have bought for extra R25K

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 05:42:06 PM by BJ »
Shunyata - See No Evil; Hear No Evil

Offline rodga

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 07:27:40 PM »
If I needed a turbo recon, last place I'd look is on Gumtree. There's is no guarantee for me as buyer that I'm not buying a paper weight.

Consider the bill from Nissan as school fees, and always get a 2nd opinion.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Offline Tzs503gp

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • HiFi- trust your ears- eyes lie
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 08:23:05 PM »
NEVER HAVE MAJOR WORK DONE AT THE DEALERSHIP.

Offline henkswart

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 07:09:11 AM »
NEVER HAVE MAJOR WORK DONE AT THE DEALERSHIP.

This has been my philosophy too. All my vehicles are serviced by the corresponding agents, but I always shop around when larger items are to be done, e.g. brakes, clutch etc. That being said, the rub lies in finding someone you can trust to do the work satisfactory. Here I have found word of mouth to work well in asking others for references and experiences.

As an example, some years ago the reverse light switch on my Focus needed replacing. Ford quoted me a stupid price at the time for labour. Whilst having my brake disks replaced at another private shop, I mentioned the switch to the mechanic, who claimed it was a quick job - if I brought the part, he would fit it while the car was on the ramp, no charge. I have had a number of such similar experiences.

Hope you are able te recoup some cash with the shot turbo.
Music is my escape.

Offline Neil

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 08:56:00 AM »
The turbo went when my wife was in PTA - she drove all the way home with the broken turbo (we didnt know what it was at the time but suspected it was the turbo - no power, turbo howling like mad). So monday at 5/6am i drove the car to nissan melrose...now we only have one car - how are you supposed to shop around when you dont have a car - nissan gave us the quote - we freaked out and were like well what do we do we dont have a car they must fix it)

Should this happen to my car or her car again - refurb - that's it
HT FRONT 7.1 - Yamaha767, b&w302, AE Compact 1, yamaha satellites.
ZONE2 - Polk tsx110b
HT Bedroom 6.1- Onkyo 700e, SONY SS-CN3 Centre, Boston 23csii Fronts, yamaha satellites.

Offline Tzs503gp

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 08:58:28 AM »
.....the rub lies in finding someone you can trust to do the work satisfactory.

Thatís easy- itís the same guy you trust with your wife, and your children. Itís you. Some basic tools, a book from Motorbooks, and a can of Flight.

My wife of 20 years, has helped me pull engines in our early years, when we were young and drove old cars. She could do an oil change service on any petrol car you can mention. (Yes, not Subaru😝).

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 09:06:32 AM by Tzs503gp »

Offline Skylark

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 09:07:21 AM »
Put the turbo on Gumtree as is, explaining the situation of what happened to it/why you are selling it, work out a fair price that would make it attractive to a buyer once the cost to rebuild it has been factored in. There'll always be someone that had a turbo that detonated and it can't be rebuilt and would be interested in it. Also find out if it is compatible with any other vehicles and put that in the add, also the oem and aftermarket part numbers etc.

Then be prepared to wait maybe a few months until the right buyer sees the ad, eventually they will come. If you are expecting a fast deal you'll probably have to sell it at scrap metal prices.
Music is in the Mind

Offline d0dja

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 10:04:43 AM »
I'm on my way to Centurion just now to go pick up a copy of the Haynes manual for my old C220... because there's a lot of stuff I can do myself, or I can entrust to Clive, my "oke" that runs a backyard workshop.

Because I once took my car to Mercedes and they LOST it for two days (it had been sent out to an offsite contractor with no records); they then tried to sell me a new fuel pump when it was CLEARLY the vacuum pump running (small pneumatics leak); and then when I arrived in JHB with a car crisis (ingition packs packing up) they told me as an "emergency" they could take my car in two weeks.

Told them to kiss my ass, never went back.

If your car is under warranty, maybe -- otherwise dealerships are incompetent, rip-off and often dishonest. IMHO.

(That being said there are exceptions - have found Suzuki Bramley to be exemplary for my wife's car).

My ex in Cape Town had a Nissan, and their spares were just obscene price ... the spares guy there used to look around to make sure no-one was looking, and under his breath tell me where I could get an OEM equivalent or component repair done.

So -- back to the OP -- if you rebuild your turbo, you run the risk of not making your money back. If you sell it as-is, you'll probably just be offered silly money. It's a bit of a bum rap. But maybe cruise gumtree and auto-enthusiasts forums and see if people are selling/buying turbos ... if there is a healthy market for them?

Offline Tzs503gp

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 11:53:29 AM »
A Haynes manual for your car really is an excellent investment. The writers completely disassemble an example of your car, and document the process with pictures as required to illustrate the text. They give you step by step instructions, in an indexed layout, about the procedure to repair everything that is repairable on that car.

Where special tools are required, they provide examples of how you can fabricate your own. As mentioned in the preface of every manual, even if youíre not confident enough to do the work yourself, youíre at least armed with the knowledge to communicate with the workshop, and in a position to defend yourself from rip-off.

A typical example costs R455,00

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 12:33:40 PM »
A Haynes manual for your car really is an excellent investment. The writers completely disassemble an example of your car, and document the process with pictures as required to illustrate the text. They give you step by step instructions, in an indexed layout, about the procedure to repair everything that is repairable on that car.

Where special tools are required, they provide examples of how you can fabricate your own. As mentioned in the preface of every manual, even if youíre not confident enough to do the work yourself, youíre at least armed with the knowledge to communicate with the workshop, and in a position to defend yourself from rip-off.

A typical example costs R455,00

I agree that this is absolutely the way to go when doing normal maintenance & purely for part replacement.

Where knowledge & experience are needed is in analysis - an example that comes to mind is repacking wheel bearings. If, as a layman, one cannot tell that they are blued from overheating, or see the pitting, then one will simple repack & carry on regardless, when in fact they should be replaced.

I've seen folks repack front wheel bearings on a B-King, when the cages were a rainbow of colours. It took a lot of convincing (and eventually a phone call to an experienced mechanic) before they would believe that they needed to replace them. This is the type of scenario when "home-mechanic/backyard-mechanic" becomes dangerous.

*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline Heinrich

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • silence is golden, but ductape is silver
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 12:36:26 PM »
just as a side note on the whole "recon" thing.

i have been in the motor industry on and off for a while, and only recently we found 1 turbo recon place that actually recons a turbo such that it lasts . especially vnt turbos as all new diesels use.

Turbonique in Witbank.

also be ware of replacement chinese turbo's, they are often worse than a bad recon.

as far as recouping some money, not likely.

if it is a very common turbo to fix(don't think it is), someone might take it to fix up and sell as an exchange unit.but it is not worth much as is.

my 2c
someone told me that i can make ice cubes with left over wine.
i am confused, what is left over wine?

Offline Tzs503gp

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 12:48:33 PM »
I agree that this is absolutely the way to go when doing normal maintenance & purely for part replacement.

Where knowledge & experience are needed is in analysis - an example that comes to mind is repacking wheel bearings. If, as a layman, one cannot tell that they are blued from overheating, or see the pitting, then one will simple repack & carry on regardless, when in fact they should be replaced.

I've seen folks repack front wheel bearings on a B-King, when the cages were a rainbow of colours. It took a lot of convincing (and eventually a phone call to an experienced mechanic) before they would believe that they needed to replace them. This is the type of scenario when "home-mechanic/backyard-mechanic" becomes dangerous.

100% agreed. Although, a bearing is going to give you fair warning if youíve stuffed it up. Youíve got to do something really stupid, or forget to tighten something important, to be in real trouble. I hate a castellated nut myself. It can never just align with the stub axle hole. Youíve always got to choose between a tiny bit tighter, or a tiny bit looser.

My brother in law is a mechanical engineer. Two years ago he installed brake pads on his BMW the wrong way around - backing plate to disc. Obviously thatís something you notice quite quickly.

A torque wrench is a must. Check every bolt twice.

And then, donít ask me about the mechanics of money. Iíve never had enough of it to be affected by even gravity.
I have made my living with my hands. Other people work in the ether. If thatís you, rather leave tangible things to those who know how to handle them.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 01:17:08 PM by Tzs503gp »

Offline Tzs503gp

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2018, 01:42:00 PM »
The irony of the spelling in the above meme does not escape me.😂🤣😂