Author Topic: campfire audio andromedas  (Read 396 times)

Offline ron g

campfire audio andromedas
« on: October 07, 2018, 10:54:45 PM »

my campfire audio andromedas arrived from cplan audio on friday.

i have been listening a bit & wanted to give some first impressions. i know i am using a lot of cliches here - i really am not sure how to describe the experience.

fit is a little (actually a lot) tricky at first, but with adam's (canman1971) help i managed to get mostly right. they seem to slip in & out of the sweet spot.

i am using them with an acoustic research ar-m2 dap, with an impedence matching (??) adaptor, both also provided by cplan.

they are still very much running in, but so far i am totally blown away. i expected them to be good, but had no idea they would be quite so good. i can hear the improvement since friday, & can only look forward to how they will sound once fully played in.

separation & imaging is spot on, clear & consistent, with no wavering. detail is just mindblowing.

bass is sharp, textured, taut & controlled, but a little lacking. i am not sure if that is the running in process, or me still trying to get a correct fit. i suspect both.
tons of clear, crisp, textured hf, which can get a little to sharp on some recordings. i am not sure if that is the iems, or the recordings. on some recordings you can actually pick out the individual people clapping.
mids are just awesome, clear vocals, natural sounding, & very well defined.

i haven't found anything that unsettles them, they just remain clear & poised with any kind of music. provided the recording is good, poor recordings are harshly exposed.

taking a listen to david bowie's "please mr. gravedigger" is an experience. i have been listening to this track since 1982 (i can still remember hearing it for the first time when it was sprung on a couple of us who were stoned at the time & seriously freaked out by the song). this time i was not stoned, but it had me looking back over my shoulder just in case someone actually was there. the rain sounds are incredibly realistic, & positioned all around me. rivulets of water running down off something are clearly audible. on the outro, the singer is muttering to himself, getting quieter as the song winds down. i was amazed to realise that this went on for a lot longer than i had ever realised, and that it is actually possible to hear what is being said.

these may not look cheap. until you consider the sound quality. they actually do sound very good with my ak junior, but nowhere near the sound of the ar m2.

is it just me or have bitcoin people gone a bitquiet because its a bitdown? #bitter

Offline gLer

Re: campfire audio andromedas
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 10:09:25 PM »
Congrats Ron! That's a heck of an IEM you have there - one of the world's best.

Only comment I can make, having never come close to a pair myself, is that I've heard they're very much reference/neutral tuning, and if anything is a little 'shy' as a result it's the bass. So it's not you (or the fit or the seal, although I'm sure that will help some). Try foam tips as well.

That's the recurring theme from what I've read in countless reviews. Excellent, detailed, textured and nuanced bass, but not in terms of quantity. That's apparently what the warmer Vega are for.

Regardless it's an aspirational earphone for most people. Well done!
Audirvana+ >> Audio-gd R-28 >> Auteur

Offline ron g

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 10:21:57 PM »

thanks.

i currently have the comply foam tips fitted, & it turns out they are not, for me, bass shy with a proper fit. it is a a lot cleaner than my other iems, which i think led to the initial perception.

is it just me or have bitcoin people gone a bitquiet because its a bitdown? #bitter

Offline gLer

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 10:57:23 AM »
That's good to hear. I absolutely wouldn't expect them to be bass shy, only in comparison to something like the Sony or Vega. How do they compare to the IE800?

Offline ron g

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 08:49:18 PM »
That's good to hear. I absolutely wouldn't expect them to be bass shy, only in comparison to something like the Sony or Vega. How do they compare to the IE800?

they are, unsurprisingly, far better than the ie80os. the ie800 are a far warmer, bassier sound, with a more recessed treble. to the point that they almost sound muffled in comparison.
i will probably hang on to my ie800s, as they are a more comfortable & secure fit, for listening to in bed, or while on the move.

i have been quite surprised with my whole dap / iem progression. every step has been a steep learning curve in what is possible, & just how good it is possible for small, relatively inexpensive kit to sound. these things are actually kind of mind blowing..

(mmmm r2r2000 should bring out the best in the andromedas... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:)

Offline ron g

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 08:35:46 AM »

turns out they are not bass shy at all - i was just not getting a proper fit.  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

changed the positioning slightly & found the missing bass, & warmth.   :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline gLer

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 04:40:24 PM »
relatively inexpensive kit
Relative to what? Not to overstate it, but I consider Andromedas summit-fi and by extension very expensive compared to anything that's, well, not - especially with our useless currency ;)

Offline GoodEnoughGear

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 05:05:32 PM »
Relative to what? Not to overstate it, but I consider Andromedas summit-fi and by extension very expensive compared to anything that's, well, not - especially with our useless currency ;)

Relative to full-sized cans heading towards the $3k mark.
Mobile: LG V30, CA Andromeda
Portable: LH Labs GO2A SE, KEF M500
Home: Soekris DAC1541, Genelec 8030+7050, HD6XX

Offline ron g

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 09:40:45 PM »

i paid roughly the same as a high end cellphone for the dap, and the same for the andromedas (i got in at a very good exchange rate!)

my lounge hifi at new pricing is around 5 times as much as the dap+andromedas. doesn't sound nearly as good. (though of course it is a different type of listening experience).
i have also heard far more expensive hifi setups, which do not sound as good. (again, of course, different type of experience).

i really cannot see how it could be possible to get this level of sound at this price level in any other way. of course i could be wrong.