campfire audio andromedas

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron g

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
my campfire audio andromedas arrived from cplan audio on friday.

i have been listening a bit & wanted to give some first impressions. i know i am using a lot of cliches here - i really am not sure how to describe the experience.

fit is a little (actually a lot) tricky at first, but with adam's (canman1971) help i managed to get mostly right. they seem to slip in & out of the sweet spot.

i am using them with an acoustic research ar-m2 dap, with an impedence matching (??) adaptor, both also provided by cplan.

they are still very much running in, but so far i am totally blown away. i expected them to be good, but had no idea they would be quite so good. i can hear the improvement since friday, & can only look forward to how they will sound once fully played in.

separation & imaging is spot on, clear & consistent, with no wavering. detail is just mindblowing.

bass is sharp, textured, taut & controlled, but a little lacking. i am not sure if that is the running in process, or me still trying to get a correct fit. i suspect both.
tons of clear, crisp, textured hf, which can get a little to sharp on some recordings. i am not sure if that is the iems, or the recordings. on some recordings you can actually pick out the individual people clapping.
mids are just awesome, clear vocals, natural sounding, & very well defined.

i haven't found anything that unsettles them, they just remain clear & poised with any kind of music. provided the recording is good, poor recordings are harshly exposed.

taking a listen to david bowie's "please mr. gravedigger" is an experience. i have been listening to this track since 1982 (i can still remember hearing it for the first time when it was sprung on a couple of us who were stoned at the time & seriously freaked out by the song). this time i was not stoned, but it had me looking back over my shoulder just in case someone actually was there. the rain sounds are incredibly realistic, & positioned all around me. rivulets of water running down off something are clearly audible. on the outro, the singer is muttering to himself, getting quieter as the song winds down. i was amazed to realise that this went on for a lot longer than i had ever realised, and that it is actually possible to hear what is being said.

these may not look cheap. until you consider the sound quality. they actually do sound very good with my ak junior, but nowhere near the sound of the ar m2.

Latest posts