Hifi stand project!

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flappy

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Reading Jason's Steam punk Atmos thread has inspired me to share my slightly less ambitious project of building a hifi stand!

I've owed a few stands but none that I really liked, and looking for something to put my newest gear on turned out to be a project in itself so I decided to just make what was in my head! The idea was to have a mix of materials that I really like, steel, stainless steel and carbon fibre. The shelves had to be removable or stack-able so I could add to it if I add a new piece of gear!
I decided on the rusty steel shelf look cleaned up by some neat stainless and carbon in between.
While thinking about the design and playing a game of pinball, the flipper paddle shape from the pinball game stuck and became the profile for the legs...so off I went to con a few work colleagues to get sidetracked and help me build a proper Hifi stand!

To start involved carving a chunk of Pine to use as a plug on which to mould the legs...we cnc'd the basic shape then lots of sanding and sealing till smooth!
20160922_085753.jpg

Next was prepping the sealed wood to get it smooth and hard enough to lay up a mold on the plug....quite an effort too :)
20160923_144346.jpg

A couple days to dry and lots of polishing later we pulled a fibreglass mold off the plug and were ready to start playing with the carbon! Well not quite the mould needed 4 or 5 polishes and some release agent first.
https://postimages.org/

Latest posts