Author Topic: HD 6XX  (Read 419 times)

Offline Reaper_ST

HD 6XX
« on: October 03, 2018, 04:22:12 PM »
Hey Guys,

First post here, been a lurker for ages.

MassDrop had the drop come up and I enlisted Scott to help me get a pair.

Service was impeccable from Scott. Cant wait to give them a listen. Just need to find me a nice amp for my PC setup.

Thought I would share!!! Super stoked on these

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Offline Curlycat

Re: HD 6XX
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 04:47:19 PM »
Well, congratulations and welcome to the forum!  :2thumbs:
I am using the Darkvoice 336SE for mine, wonderful sound and synergy. At Massdrop from time to time as well.

Online capetownwatches

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 05:22:12 PM »
Welcome, and sorry about your wallet.
The rabbit hole is steep and slippery...

The Sennheisers are an excellent place to start your headphone journey.
And yes, they do scale remarkably well with a good source and amplifier.

That said, you don't need to go crazy spend-wise (unless you want to of course).
Have a look at my signature for a hint as to where to start looking for a decent amp/dac... :groovy:

Kingrex HQ1-Audio-gd NFB11.32-Little Dot Mkll-SRM252S-Benchmark DAC1 USB-RL Concero
LCD2F-HD600-SR207-DT990Pro-K612Pro-K240S-K171Mkll-M4U2-Y50

Offline Reaper_ST

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 05:59:03 PM »
Thanks guys.
Welcome, and sorry about your wallet.
The rabbit hole is steep and slippery...

The Sennheisers are an excellent place to start your headphone journey.
And yes, they do scale remarkably well with a good source and amplifier.

That said, you don't need to go crazy spend-wise (unless you want to of course).
Have a look at my signature for a hint as to where to start looking for a decent amp/dac... :groovy:
I got a pair of 558's that I use for gaming but been looking for 650's for awhile. Then found the 6xx and couldnt say no.

I have had a look at the Audio-GD range, think its the NF11 and R2 something. There are just so many options out there, not even sure where to start.

Also dont want an amp that's specific for 650/600/6xx but something that can drive other cans if/when I get some more

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 06:14:08 PM »
I have had an Audio-GD in the past. I would lie if I say I did not like it. As far as a solid state amp is concerned, great value!

The things I do like about the Darkvoice is,
(A) it's a proper tube amp with that lovely tube sound
(B) it allows for changing the sound signature with rolling tubes.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/darkvoice-336se.12324/reviews
https://www.amazon.com/DarkVoice-336SE-Headphone-Tube-Amplifier/dp/B00CF9JON8

Offline Reaper_ST

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 10:07:22 PM »
Seen the DarkVoice come up alot in my research. Schiit comes up alot too.

Problem is, stuff is so damn expensive, you dont want to buy and then realize you made a mistake and have to buy again

Offline Wietsche

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 11:15:12 PM »
Hi and welcome!

I also have a HD6XX, was one of the best buys ever for me.

NFB11 and R2R11 are made for these, and will be less picky with any other headphone than an OTL tube amp. That said, I have something similar to the mentioned Darkvoice tube amp and the high impedance HD6XX sounds wonderfull on it. My LCD2 planars on the other hand does not pair well with the tube amp, nor any other headphones I have under 80 ohm. Whatever I put on my Audio-gd solid state amp so far though, just works.

I also have the Schiit Stack comprising of the Modi Multibit and the Magni 2 Uber. Go look on the forum, the Schiit stuff sells super duper fast. They are very safe choices. So if you don't like (doubt it), it will at least sell easily to someone else here. My recommendation would be to get the latest Magni 3 and Modi 3 stack for just $200... I doubt you will find more value anyware else buying brand new. My stack ended up with my wife who does not want me let them go now... and to be honest I don't mind, they are respectable gear and nice to have around still. And guess what headphone she grabs to use on the stack... yes, the HD6XX.

Scott was also the helping hand getting the stack here for me. Excellent service and used his service many times after for all sorts of things.

If you can push a little more, a new (or even secondhand) NFB11/R2R11 would give you some nice Class A punch. But, it is one combined unit and you can't change the DAC source later. There is no analog RCA input to use the amp section seperately, only digital inputs. You can however use the DAC RCA output to a better amp or powered speakers. The Schiit Stack does not have this limit and can be changed out as you wish, and takes less space on your desk. Only gripe I have is that they are so light that a chunky headphone plug and wire pulls the stack out of place easily. The actually work nicer side by side and not stacked. Less cable strain front and back (short stiff RCA bridge cables are painfull to deal with stacked...). The NFB11/R2R11 is heavier and stable on the desk by design, but it takes double the depth space on a desk.

Hope this helps! Enjoy exploring the rabbit hole! Hehe!

Cheers,
W

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline Reaper_ST

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 12:58:08 PM »
Thank you for the explanation Wietsche.

Looks like I need to determine if I'm gonna buy other cans soon. If not, tube amp is the way to go.

If others are on the cards, Audio-GD looks like one of the better options.

I will be using primarily for gaming. And some music on the side. So will be running a Asus sound card to a DAC via optical to get the Dolby Headphone from games, then dac to amp.

Offline Wietsche

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 04:42:58 PM »
Pleasure!

If it is precision gaming sound you are looking for, and its your only amp, I would rather reccomend a solid state amp. Tubes does stuff to sound and it might distort the Dolby effects.

Tubes sound nice for mostly music, but not all genres, unless you have very accurate and neutral tubes. Then you might as well go solid state with less fuss and less noise.

If you gonna "slam" you keyboard you will also cause ringing in the tubes and its not good for the lifetime of the tubes if I remember correctly. Yes, they have a lifetime.

I would not waste a tube amp on gaming. It falls in the vinyl catagory for me. Maybe as a seperate dedicated music listening setup, that will be nice. You have to take care of them and let them warm up a few minutes to get them sounding good, and hums to disappear and volume to normalise etc. It's not "flick switch and game" like with a solid state amp. I would go for Schiit Stack or Audio-gd combo unit rather.

But, your choice of course. Tubes does look cool on a desk!

Cheers,
W

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline Reaper_ST

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 04:56:22 PM »
I never thought about the whole nerd rage thing with tubes. You make a very valid point.

Tubes do look very good though but as you said, not viable for gaming.

Will have a look around for a solid state locally maybe for the 6xx.

Thank you for all the info and expertise. I really really appreciate every little detail

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 05:03:15 PM »
I never thought about the whole nerd rage thing with tubes. You make a very valid point.

Meh. Nerds rule the world, so good luck!

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 05:17:48 PM »
Congrats on your new toys! The HD600 and HD650 (6XX) remain my favourite mid-market headphones. My personal preference is for 600 over 650 by a very small margin, but I keep both in my collection as they have different personalities. Buying local is good strategy ... There is a Project Headbox in the classifieds for a very good price. It will be a significant step-up from most on-board sound. The 6XX will keep on rewarding with better sound along with better electronics. Keep watching the classifieds here and elsewhere for gebtly-used bargains.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline Reaper_ST

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 05:25:57 PM »
Thanks Scubadude.

Been keeping an eye on the For Sale section for ages already. But seem to keep missing some decent deals.

This is what I'm worried about, everybody seems to have a collection of cans. I'm getting a little worried now

Offline gLer

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2018, 08:40:58 AM »
This is what I'm worried about, everybody seems to have a collection of cans. I'm getting a little worried now.
Donít stress. The head-fi rabbit hole is deep and dark, and the deeper you go the poorer you become! You donít *need* a collection of headphones, despite what others around here might tell you. And this forum is like a ghost town compared to where the real action is (headfi.org). Bottom line, if youíre mainly gaming and the 6XX do it for you, great, enjoy. Once you start stretching out and exploring your musical favourites with different headphones, well, as the saying goes, I feel sorry for your wallet :P
Audirvana+ >> Audio-gd R-28 >> Elear / LCD-3