Author Topic: Burson OpAmps - Any experience with these?  (Read 486 times)

Offline Moolz

Burson OpAmps - Any experience with these?
« on: September 27, 2018, 08:13:04 PM »
I've had my Asus Xonar One in use for around 3 years now and the itch to either upgrade to a different unit or swap out the opamps is on the cards... I use the DAC on my PC - connected to my NAD3020 and a pair of MA BX2's.

After much research it seems as though the Burson opamps are the best option in terms of an upgrade. I contacted the guys @ Burson and the suggested that I replace 6 (4 main and 2 buffer) to their V5i variant. They are around $70 for a pair but their reviews have all been good. Has anyone either tried Burson opamps and what was your opinion? Alternatively - would a local RS Component upgrade serve the purpose of improving the sound (more detail/faster response/improved mid range)? Any thoughts/experience/opinions would be appreciated.

https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/supreme-sound-opamp-v5i/

Offline itscraig

Re: Burson OpAmps - Any experience with these?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 09:19:25 PM »
At he kind of money you going to have to outlay on the nursing there are better options for sale.
Been down that road and definitely better to replace complete DAC

Offline Moolz

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 11:30:52 PM »
At he kind of money you going to have to outlay on the nursing there are better options for sale.
Been down that road and definitely better to replace complete DAC

Any suggestions?
I need something with a small footprint, TOSLINK in, USB, coax, and must also have a headphone out (amplified).

Offline Drifter

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 07:13:40 AM »
If you use it with your pc, why would you need toslink and coax? USB is “usually” better and gives you a much broader choice. Not many new products have toslink.

Online capetownwatches

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 12:05:26 PM »

This will do the job at very reasonable cost:

DSD: 2.8224MHz/5.6448MHz, 1bit
PCM: 44.1kHz/48kHz/88.2kHz/96kHz/176.4kHz/192kHz, 16 bit/24 bit

Kingrex HQ1-Benchmark DAC1 USB-NFB11.32-Little Dot MKll-SRM252S
LCD2F-HD600-DT990Pro-K612Pro-K240S K171MKll-M4U2-Y50-SR207

Offline itscraig

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 06:03:46 PM »
I guess it is going to depend on budget

Offline Moolz

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 06:56:15 PM »
If you use it with your pc, why would you need toslink and coax? USB is “usually” better and gives you a much broader choice. Not many new products have toslink.

Toslink to connect to my Asus Phoebus 7.1 for surround sound - gaming (toslink).
Coax - for any other device I may want to connect...

Offline Moolz

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 06:57:59 PM »
This will do the job at very reasonable cost:

DSD: 2.8224MHz/5.6448MHz, 1bit
PCM: 44.1kHz/48kHz/88.2kHz/96kHz/176.4kHz/192kHz, 16 bit/24 bit

It will need to sound way better that the Asus - which isn't too bad but could do with an upgrade...
Muse01 opamps around $80 each - which would make it a a Muse edition.

Offline Moolz

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 06:58:42 PM »
I guess it is going to depend on budget

5k - 7k?
If i had to sell my Essence One - then it would be closer to 10k.

Online naughty

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 11:30:04 PM »
i would say keep the Asus for the surround gaming and get a USB DAC for the music system - and something like this should work absolutely perfectly with whatever else you have and is mildly over your budget but worth every cent

https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,70280.0.html

only problem is that it also doesnt have the headphone out .... if you have to have the headphone out then try to find out whats the latest price on the Ifi Micro iDSD black label - thats the only DAC/headamp i would consider as an upgrade to my Nuprime uDSD for headphone usage - this link should give you an idea on pricing of the Ifi stuff

https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,71870.0.html

if the micro black label is too costly then the nano and the Nuprime uDSD have similar functionality with just slightly lower levels of performance for a lot less but should still be better than the Asus sound card for music purposes ... im using my uDSD in a secondary setup and it works great even with amps more than 20 years old (im using a Pioneer A400x in that secondary system)

Offline Moolz

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2018, 06:53:28 AM »
i would say keep the Asus for the surround gaming and get a USB DAC for the music system - and something like this should work absolutely perfectly with whatever else you have and is mildly over your budget but worth every cent

https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,70280.0.html

only problem is that it also doesnt have the headphone out .... if you have to have the headphone out then try to find out whats the latest price on the Ifi Micro iDSD black label - thats the only DAC/headamp i would consider as an upgrade to my Nuprime uDSD for headphone usage - this link should give you an idea on pricing of the Ifi stuff

https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,71870.0.html

if the micro black label is too costly then the nano and the Nuprime uDSD have similar functionality with just slightly lower levels of performance for a lot less but should still be better than the Asus sound card for music purposes ... im using my uDSD in a secondary setup and it works great even with amps more than 20 years old (im using a Pioneer A400x in that secondary system)

Thanks - will definitely look into this.

Offline scrarfussi

suum cuique pulchrum est

"Then Said my heart here will i take my rest."

Offline Rotelman

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 06:27:34 PM »
...After much research it seems as though the Burson opamps are the best option in terms of an upgrade.....

I know that the Burson discreet opamps are the 1st choice for some modders and fiddlers when it comes to SQ and budget is of least concern.

Ive seen quite a few modders preferring the audio-gd discreet opamps for older units and in cases where budget is relavent.

Offline pwatts

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 09:46:11 PM »

"Usually" being the highly operative word. In the general sense, the order of quality should be I2S->USB->AES3->S/PDIF electrical->Toslink (not mentioning the other varieties like the higher-current glass fiber stuff or the separated word clock methods etc.). In realty though, this is not necessarily so, especially concerning USB, and quite a few folks eventually abandoned USB in favour of the supposedly inferior options. Even the much-hated Toslink has some followers in certain specific setups. Try it all before just settling by default for what is considered best.

Offline Cross_over

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2018, 03:45:59 PM »
What about the Schiit Modi 3. Fits the bill on the inputs side and only $99 + about $70 for Fedex delivery.

I have just ordered one and will do a reviewwhen I get it.