Author Topic: The Stax Journey Has Begun!  (Read 659 times)

Offline gLer

Re: The Stax Journey Has Begun!
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2018, 04:58:39 PM »
   Surely the DAC has a larger role to play here than the HPA and cans, and perhaps you're more used to a rolled off sound?  What DAC feeds the poison from your well?
Yes, the dac would have some influence but the amp and headphones much more so. @capetownwatches can comment on the dac setup he had rigged.

As for bright vs detailed, letís agree to disagree on that one. You can get plenty of detail without going anywhere near bright (a-la new driver LCD-3 and Elear/Elex). HD800 EQd with Sonarworks is another excellent example of super detailed but not unreasonably bright. The Stax does bright right - much better than Beyer for example - but itís not neutral in that the bass doesnít quite fill in as much as it could, to my ears, and leaves the mids a touch thin as a result.

But itís a particular sonic signature that many appreciate and I can appreciate why they do.
Audirvana+ >> Audio-gd R-28 >> Elear / LCD-3

Offline capetownwatches

Re: The Stax Journey Has Begun!
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2018, 06:13:00 PM »
Yes, the dac would have some influence but the amp and headphones much more so. @capetownwatches can comment on the dac setup he had rigged.

Eximus DP-1 via 0.5m 22AWG Monoprice Shielded cables single ended to SRM-252S

But itís a particular sonic signature that many appreciate and I can appreciate why they do.

Give it a week of listening to nothing else and you may find those highs more tolerable.
Brain burn in is an important component.

Or you may go insane... :BWAHAHAH:

Kingrex HQ1-Audio-gd NFB11.32-Little Dot Mkll-SRM252S-Benchmark DAC1 USB-RL Concero
LCD2F-HD600-SR207-DT990Pro-K612Pro-K240S-K171Mkll-M4U2-Y50