Author Topic: Speaker refoaming glue  (Read 573 times)

Offline kolakidd

Speaker refoaming glue
« on: September 27, 2018, 01:43:00 PM »
Sooo... I know it feels like this info on the forum somewhere, I searched and couldn't locate it.

I went past RSE today to get some glue for re-foaming speaker gluing speaker surrounds, and they don't stock their driver refoam glue anymore. It dries out fast, and is a pain to stock.

What is everyone else using? I was thinking that fabric glue might work.

This is foam on paper, not rubber surround., but if you have a recommendation for rubber, you may as well mention it.

(Notice how included as many search keywords as possible for future searchers  :whistler:)

Online fdlsys

• Fiddle What?
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
Re: Speaker refoaming glue
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 02:54:44 PM »
... I was thinking that fabric glue might work. ...
It does.
But there are so many varieties and most of them are utter rubbish. My well tested preference: "FAWZ" "superior quality designer fabric glue" - you'll find it at Fiona's. It takes 24hrs before to cure sufficiently, don't disturb it before that!

The other (and my absolute preference over all types) glue you will find at Fiona's is "Acrilex" "beads glue". Acrylic, bonds everything, gives you ample time to center and set, cures enough to test in about 2 hrs, permanent cure in 24hrs.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline HB

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 03:13:19 PM »
@mike is that Fiona's in Linden?
When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take It!            [Yogi Berra]

Online fdlsys

• Fiddle What?
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 04:13:17 PM »
In Randburg CBD, I'm not even aware there is one in Linden?
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry

Offline kolakidd

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 05:32:35 PM »
Thanks for the tip, I'll try the Acrilex.

I think he's talking about Arthur Bales, that's in Linden. They may have glue, I bought polyester batting for speaker damping from there.

Offline BobsYourUncle

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • And there you have it, Bob's your uncle
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 09:55:52 PM »
I have used pliobond /pliobond before and so far, almost a year later, the JBL TLX 121 I refoamed for my parents are still holding up well
I'm hearing images, I'm seeing songs that poet has ever painted

Online Shonver

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 08:35:29 AM »
I have only ever used contact cement (e.g., Bostik). But I imported a surround replacement kit that I never got to use, which had a white glue that looks like PVA wood glue. The surround was foam.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Online fdlsys

• Fiddle What?
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 08:49:17 AM »
I have only ever used contact cement (e.g., Bostik). But I imported a surround replacement kit that I never got to use, which had a white glue that looks like PVA wood glue. The surround was foam.
"Fabric glue" probably - similar formulation, looks and smells as wood glue but it seems to bond pretty much anything and most importantly it remains flexible once it cures.

Contact type glues do not give you the opportunity for fine adjustment because they bond on contact.

I use Acrilex but I have tested with "fabric glue" also and it holds well.
I glue the surround to the cone first and leave overnight.
Then, drive the speaker with 60-100Hz signal from function generator to center it and then glue to the basket. While the glue is still wet I run the +/- DC offset from the function generator which pushes the cone up and down (remains centered running on the base frequency) to make sure there is no coil contact with anything. Once perfectly centered I disconnect the function generator and let it stand for 24hr to cure.