Author Topic: Loudspeaker Material Suppliers - Cape Town  (Read 369 times)

Offline nubble

Loudspeaker Material Suppliers - Cape Town
« on: September 25, 2018, 01:39:26 PM »
Hi,
I've decided to go down the road of DIY loudspeakers, and want to get together a list of material suppliers in Cape Town. Suppliers that dont mind DIY quantities, superb service and appropriately priced for their supplies.  :thumbs:
If their arent any Cape Town suppliers then za would do also, and then if that fails the preferred global supplier.

Can anyone recommend suppliers in Cape Town for any of the following categories:
- Wood for loudspeakers - MDF and birch plywood or other - various thickness with cutting service
- terminal plates/ binding posts
- spikes/feet
- port tubes
- acoustic treatment-damping
- speaker grill/cloth
- gasket caulk
- glues/screws/nuts/bolts
- finishing materials/ coverings
-drivers/ kits
- crossover components and design service
Im pretty certain that many DIY loudspeaker designers have gone through this exercise and would like to leverage that instead of re-invent the wheel.

thanks in advance

Offline nubble

Re: Loudspeaker Material Suppliers - Cape Town
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 01:42:46 PM »
Wood for loudspeakers :
I found Davidson boards in Brackenfell that does:
18mm plywood exterior BB; 2.4mx1.2m at R540
16mm MDF; 2.7x1.8m at R520
18mm MDF; 2.7x1.8m at R750
they charge R45 per board to cut. Accuracy of cut??

Offline bbe22

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 03:40:12 PM »
pick three commercial loudspeakers that you would like to own  - this will give us an idea of  what you are after for this project , alt if you have an idea already,  looks , driver compliment and budget ?

Offline nubble

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 07:09:13 AM »
Im not after any specific build but rather want to get together a list of suppliers for the various components required in a DIY loudspeaker build.
In saying that though, Im thinking on the linkwitz lx-mini and overnight sensations.

Offline SeanS

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 07:19:30 AM »
ITM for birch ply.. they don't cut but send somewhere close that does.. Topfast for all nuts and bolts and capped Allen bolts etc.. somewhere like a Aandrag (still called that?) for ports... they have various thicknesses..or use a slot port. Avoid MDF.

Offline ALF

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 11:06:59 AM »
The Board Store in Woodstock for Birch ply supply and cutting to 100% spec.
"the fostex thang".....

Offline bbe22

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 12:00:31 PM »
We have a real problem locally with supply of drivers for DIY HIFi and none in the Cape Town area. Some higher watt resistors, higher value caps  and coils / inductors are hard to find too.
..some forum members (me too)  have spare drivers that they could part with , just ask around.
However for the L mini design you would probably have to import  the kit complete...
From overseas but avalable locally  , RS and Digikey carry some product.

Offline nubble

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 08:44:55 AM »
@seans why would one avoid  mdf?

Offline SeanS

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 01:07:58 PM »
@SeanS why would one avoid  mdf?

my view... ..
- It generally make a mist like dust which goes everywhere unless you have proper extractors etc..
- Quality differs,  can be from very loose to quite dense.. I`m never sure which one I`m buying
- Cabinet is less rigid, more "dunk" when knocked, it seems to need more bracing etc. I find 18mm Birch more rigid
- Needs extensive work to get a finish... vs. brich which is attractive as is
- Inserts never stick as well, always seem to pull out etc., need more consideration to make them stay in

Birch costs a bit more but when considering the effort to build a box its a small addition.

Offline nubble

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 08:34:26 PM »
my view... ..
- It generally make a mist like dust which goes everywhere unless you have proper extractors etc..
- Quality differs,  can be from very loose to quite dense.. I`m never sure which one I`m buying
- Cabinet is less rigid, more "dunk" when knocked, it seems to need more bracing etc. I find 18mm Birch more rigid
- Needs extensive work to get a finish... vs. brich which is attractive as is
- Inserts never stick as well, always seem to pull out etc., need more consideration to make them stay in

Birch costs a bit more but when considering the effort to build a box its a small addition.
Im convinced and sold on this.

Offline nubble

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2018, 08:39:47 PM »
Where does one get terminal plates/ binding posts
and acoustic treatment-damping in Cape Town or South Africa?