Author Topic: Kikuyu Grass - Sun  (Read 316 times)

Offline Dolby

Kikuyu Grass - Sun
« on: September 24, 2018, 07:48:20 AM »
What is the sun requirement of this?

Google says full - that is 12hrs?
And anything less means it won't grow, or just grow poorly?

The reason I ask is they also say full sun for a rose, but that survives at 6hrs

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+125)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
Re: Kikuyu Grass - Sun
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 07:59:43 AM »
Full depends on where you live, but since it is an African variety as opposed to a European one, it will thrive better with more sun.   I had a friend in Harare with a Kikuyu lawn and it grew so fast that it had to be cut every day.   Kikuyu lawns in Cape Town need a cut once every 10 days in summer and half that in winter
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline Dolby

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 08:05:29 AM »
Thanks Chric.

Maybe I just should should be put it down and see what happens. I'm not a fan of two types of grass in the garden - so hoping it takes

Offline vleisman

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 08:45:48 AM »
Kikuyu will grow most places as long as it gets a few hours of sun.

Offline LouisF

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 12:55:22 PM »
In my experience in Pretoria over a period of almost 27 years, if Kikuyu does not get sun in winter, it dies. In summer it seems you need at least 7 -8 hiurs sun per day. LM grass does rather well there in the shade but needs to be treated differently to Kikuyu. It also cannot tolerate full shade all of the time, though.
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline FranZAR

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 02:34:01 PM »
Kikuyu will not take in full shade, especially in Jhb. Winter frost also hammers it. It is a surface creeper and wants sun and water. Frequent mowing during summer is a must. This side of the Jukskei my Kikuyu lawn stays green throughout winter, but we don't really get frost. LM won't do well in Gauteng, it likes the warmer areas and doesn't give a decent cover as Kikuyu does. Rather look for a shade grass. It will give greenary but not decent cover.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Exclame 150|Vivere|Whisper|Croak SL1200|Sonor Claro