Author Topic: 2-way build  (Read 1434 times)

Offline PhillipJ

Re: 2-way build
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2019, 08:12:36 PM »
I have been trying to sort out the crossover for this project the WHOLE day and I just cant get it sounding good Too bright then too muted then ZERO bass or very little bass... I know the box is the problem with the bass but the crossover should sort the highs and mids. Holmimpulse helped a lot... I'll keep playing until I get it right...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Offline PhillipJ

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2019, 09:08:11 PM »
Some progress... or actually I'm not sure its progress... I changed it from a 2 way to a 3 way. I'm adding a 8" driver in the side panel to add more bass. The tests I did on a test panel with the 8" in place had good results. There is a big dip between the mid and high but fixable with the crossover.

So far the sound is not bad, highs and mids bright - nearly harsh - but fixable. Bass is low enough for this size box. I'm happy with it so far. I think its going to sound brilliant when its done.

Offline PhillipJ

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2019, 10:34:24 AM »
Crossover seems to work well...

Just need to make it pretty...

Online Shonver

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2019, 11:20:05 AM »
Did you manage to sort out the harshness? I understand changing direction midway in a project (done a lot of that myself!), but maybe you should look into sorting this out first. I think you should be able to achieve a satisfactory result with the two drivers (you shouldn't expect too much bass, though).

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline PhillipJ

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2019, 06:38:07 PM »
The mid and highs are good and still a bit bright. The bass is tight and fast and low (fs @ 32Hz). I need to tweek the high and mid a bit still. But its very listenable.

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2019, 07:18:38 PM »
Very interesting build. I am looking forward to seeing your progress and results. Long ago I had a pair of IMF T/L's and they were lovely. I also have a pair of those Mission drivers looking for a cabby.

Where did you end up crossing your crossover?

Offline PhillipJ

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2019, 07:53:45 PM »
Very interesting build. I am looking forward to seeing your progress and results. Long ago I had a pair of IMF T/L's and they were lovely. I also have a pair of those Mission drivers looking for a cabby.

Where did you end up crossing your crossover?
Its now at 2.3kHz between the tweeter and mid and at 300Hz for the bass.