Advice on recapping

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Sid

AVForums Super Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
I am about to start recapping the Philips B6X63A valve radio, and need to ask some advice as this is the first go I've had at recapping.

The obvious candidates for replacement are all the electrolytics (an example circled in green) and the nasty, notorious gooey black caps (circled in red) that Philips of the era are full of. Circled in blue is a little cap - I don't know what kind it is. My first question is what kind of cap is it, and do they generally need replacing? I hope not, since the radio is full of them - almost 100!

hs35lZ3.jpg

Below, there are some flat, waxy caps circled in red (a few 100pF each) - what are they, and do they need replacing? Then the one circled in green - it seems to be some sort of rolled-up foil, 3000pF, same question? More examples of those small tubular ones are circled in blue.

5jJ9Jr7.jpg

The electrolytics will all be replaced. I will stuff the large filter cap on the power supply (actually a triple cap in one can) with three discrete new caps to retain the appearance. The black caps will all be replaced, except one which is part of one of one of the RF tuning circuits. Advice from M Caldeira Electronics old and new, who does lots of these restorations, is not to touch any caps in the RF and IF stages unless you have to, because then you may need to adjust the coils which is tricky if you don't have the equipment (like me) or knowhow (like me). The black caps are almost all in the audio amp stages. They all notorious for failing, which would be consistent with the almost burnt out audio stage on this radio.

If the small caps don't need replacing, then I have to put in 6 electrolytics and 16 polyesters, which doesn't seem too bad.

Would these polyester caps from Mantech http://www.mantech.co.za/ProductInfo.aspx?Item=14M5311 be suitable replacements for the black caps? They have most of the values, and the same 400V rating as the black caps.
MEF001.jpg

Latest posts