Author Topic: Yet another turntable  (Read 446 times)

Offline stereoholic

Yet another turntable
« on: September 20, 2018, 04:06:37 PM »
Having been bitten by the bug, I bought a Kenwood KD-3100 on gumtree for R750, it came with a Stanton 681EEE cartridge (with a little brush in front) and after a bit of juggling with the setup it's singing sweetly. I'm absolutely amazed at how good this turntable sounds.

After much googling I see it will probably need the motor/spindle bearing housing cleaned out and new oil added and herein lies the dilemma. The service manual recommends Lubriplate Aero, which is a lithium based thin mineral oil with a viscosity of 19. Is their an equivalent I can use as I don't want to mess it up ? I was thinking of silicone oil which I use in my fishing reels.

Offline JohnnyIC

Re: Yet another turntable
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 04:58:26 PM »
Most if not all of the magic here is coming from that cart and stylus. The Stanton 681eee is a brilliant sounding cartridge especially with a good original or NOS stylus. Many people seem to be fooled by the name which is usually associated with dj turntables but the 681eee was anything but a DJ cartridge.

Just my  :2c:

Online fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+86)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 05:25:49 PM »
Most if not all of the magic here is coming from that cart and stylus. The Stanton 681eee is a brilliant sounding cartridge especially with a good original or NOS stylus. Many people seem to be fooled by the name which is usually associated with dj turntables but the 681eee was anything but a DJ cartridge.
101% agree.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Online fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+86)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 05:38:56 PM »
After much googling I see it will probably need the motor/spindle bearing housing cleaned out and new oil added and herein lies the dilemma. The service manual recommends Lubriplate Aero, which is a lithium based thin mineral oil with a viscosity of 19. Is their an equivalent I can use as I don't want to mess it up ? I was thinking of silicone oil which I use in my fishing reels.
I wouldn't obsess much - it's not a Linn.
Sewing machine oil works well. It's very thin mineral oil, free of additives and it will do the job just fine in the bronze bushings of the motor and bronze sleeves of the platter bushing.
NEVER use oils that may contain any additives for sintered bronze bushings because they clog up the pores in the bronze.
Never use any WD40 or many equivalents, they they fill the pores in bronze with wax.
Forget about the lithium soap. With it, in commonly available oils, you will also get sulphur which is lethal to copper which is the main component of bronze (and brass) alloys.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline Aqualung

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 05:43:33 PM »
Is their an equivalent I can use as I don't want to mess it up ? I was thinking of silicone oil which I use in my fishing reels.

No, don't use the silicone oil. Pop over to Durbanville, and I will give you proper turntable spindle oil (new German equivalent of Mobil Velocite 6). PM me for my phone number.
Johan
I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Offline stereoholic

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 09:43:51 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, great info! I will open it up this weekend,inspect and take it from there. Last night I noticed the counterweight on the tonearm was sagging, so I stripped it apart and found the whole thing hangs off a synthetic rubber grommet (for damping I think), I replaced it with a piece of rubber vacuum hose and all looking good again. On a different note, how do I attach pics to a post ?

Offline stereoholic

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 08:46:30 AM »
I opened it up this weekend and found the bearing well was clean and still contained clean oil, so just put it back together again. I found the speed is a bit erratic so next step will be to clean all the pots and take it from there.

Offline stereoholic

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 09:09:50 AM »

This cartridge is worlds apart from the AT95 I have on my Rega, it just gets better and better the more I play it, the detail, bass, clarity is amazing. It is a bit finicky to set up and needs to be perfectly aligned, but wow for a piece of kit that's 40yrs old I'm gobsmacked at the performance  :Whoohoo: