Low volume on cellphone to power amp

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimiJames

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi all - please excuse my ignorance...

I have an old Rotel RB-991 amp hooked up to a pair of B&W CM5s. My idea was to create a remotely controlled music room by hooking up my old android cellphone to the amp via a audio jack to 2 RCA cable, and installing Spotify on the phone.

Gave it a go, and all good, except I was expecting some pretty serious sound out of the combination, but at max output on the phone I can still hold a conversation with someone in the room by barely raising my voice. I was honestly expecting a lot more oomph...

I'm assuming the voltage from the phone is the problem - when this power amp was connected to the pre-amps on my AVR the sound was waaaay bigger.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what equipment I would look at to boost the voltage? A phono pre-amp?

P.S. I've tried 3 different phones (one was an iPhone, for all the Android haters...) and two portable bluetooth receivers, and the results are similar, which makes me worry a little about the power amp... But all 5 devices are portable (i.e. designed to run off battery), so I'm guessing they would all be different from a something running from a socket?

Thanks
James