Author Topic: Anyone else in Jhb getting blown away?  (Read 239 times)

Offline Andrew

Anyone else in Jhb getting blown away?
« on: September 19, 2018, 02:00:06 PM »
Jeepers, don't know if it's just a change in job description that has made me more aware of the weather, but it seems as if the wind started blowing in August and just hasn't stopped - past three days in particular have been absolutely disgusting. On Monday the sunlight out our side even changed colour because of the dust in the sky. I honestly don't remember it blowing this hard for this long before?
Don't judge me for being quiet - no one plans a murder aloud.

Offline Mervin

Re: Anyone else in Jhb getting blown away?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 02:09:49 PM »
August winds in September
Behind the cupboard door... Narnia

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 02:37:55 PM »
Yup, it is madness. Blowing a gale at 35km/h with gusts up to 42km/h according to the closest weather station in Kyalami.

KEP are busy with prep for Derby which starts next week, so the grass arenas have all had major work done to them.

My wife has is watering 18 hours a day to try get enough water down - with big industrial irrigation as used on rugby fields etc.

Thanks be huge for the grey water that gets piped to them, it may not smell like perfume, but at least it is free & not going to complete waste!
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline Andrew

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 04:43:22 PM »
Yup, it is madness. Blowing a gale at 35km/h with gusts up to 42km/h according to the closest weather station in Kyalami.

KEP are busy with prep for Derby which starts next week, so the grass arenas have all had major work done to them.

My wife has is watering 18 hours a day to try get enough water down - with big industrial irrigation as used on rugby fields etc.

Thanks be huge for the grey water that gets piped to them, it may not smell like perfume, but at least it is free & not going to complete waste!

Glad to know it's not just us! I'm really sick and tired of getting home and washing what looks like half the arena off me. I cover myself in sunscreen in the morning, then you get into the arena for the next four, five hours and get coated in dust that sticks to the cream!  ;D :( >:(

Given up on our lawn, just trying to keep some of the bushes alive long enough for the rains to hopefully arrive. I saw the thread on your jumps boxes - well done!
Don't judge me for being quiet - no one plans a murder aloud.

Offline 2wice

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 05:31:23 PM »
Everyone at work bitching and moaning about the wind and heat, including me, and as soon as I get home I put the fan on.

Offline Drifter

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 05:54:53 PM »
Everyone at work bitching and moaning about the wind and heat, including me, and as soon as I get home I put the fan on.

Sounds like Cape Town in summer  :giggle:

Offline BWS

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 01:22:54 PM »
I honestly don't remember it blowing this hard for this long before?

You obviously got your money's worth :whistler:
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?