Author Topic: I've got the vintage Sansui blues  (Read 732 times)

Offline vleisman

I've got the vintage Sansui blues
« on: September 16, 2018, 01:15:17 PM »
At last count...
2 x amplifiers
2 sets of speakers
2 turntables
1 graphic equalizer

The blues part is that the AU222 amp is the only one working properly, and that only after much effort from Nilam.

Offline vleisman

Re: I've got the vintage Sansui blues
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 02:37:35 PM »
Removed the back cover from the SP-100 speakers and saw lots of corrosion /contamination on the switch mechanism. Cleaned it off and they are singing nicely. These have quite bad water damage so cosmetically they are no good, but they sound pretty good.

The switch changes the sound a lot, and the natural and soft settings are not great. The Clear setting sounds best.

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 04:13:48 PM »
I also have various Sansui odds & ends. I need to look at the one AU777 as it is very much down on the left channel. Played fine last time I fired it up but that was a few years back. Coupled to a TU-777 tuner and a Sansui tape deck, model number escapes my mind right now.

I need to update my vintage collection in the "Housekeeping" thread I started a while back in the Vintage section, have become somewhat lazy of late.  :-[

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline Baseline

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 11:00:23 AM »
I love my small Sansui collection. Everything in proper working order with the exception of the turntable which requires a new belt. On the rack from top to bottom are a Sansui TU-555 tuner, Sansui QS-1 quadphonic synthesizer, Sansui AU-6600 amplifier and in the second photo is my Sansui SR-222 turntable, which I have had since 1982.

.It's all about the Music.

Offline vleisman

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 11:52:38 AM »
You have beautiful stuff there Baseline  :thumbs: makes my collection look a bit scruffy and poor. I do have a stunning SR-636 turntable and the little AU222 amplifier sounds better than it looks. Maybe I should add some pictures.

Offline Agaton Sax

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 02:07:06 PM »
Aai. In every OK Bazaars from Mossel Bay to Marble Hall there would be the HiFi department next to the furniture. There would be Tempest and Blaupunkt music centres and at the back a Black Sansui stack with a SR222 on top.As inaccesible to a school boy as Magnum's Ferrari or Brit Ekland in the Lux advertisement.

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 04:17:20 PM »
Very nice, Baseline, the Sansuis all look immaculate!

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline vleisman

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 07:06:38 PM »
Aai. In every OK Bazaars from Mossel Bay to Marble Hall there would be the HiFi department next to the furniture. There would be Tempest and Blaupunkt music centres and at the back a Black Sansui stack with a SR222 on top.As inaccesible to a school boy as Magnum's Ferrari or Brit Ekland in the Lux advertisement.

Given that choice as a schoolboy I would have gone for Brit Ekland. Today I might have regretted that choice.

Offline Agaton Sax

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 07:42:32 PM »
Ja and in the bigger stores there would be a Technics setup next to the Snotsuis with SL B2 turntable and SU Z2 amplifier ,except the salesman with short sleeves and a wide brown tie and  INSIDE INFO would call it the Suzy2. Really big OKs like Bloemfontein would have the SL Q2 and SU V2 and in the record bar there would be Yamaha NS 1000Ms but those were NOT FOR SALE.

Offline Baseline

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 08:35:00 PM »
Very nice, Baseline, the Sansuis all look immaculate!

-F_D

Thanks F_D. I enjoy my audio gear not only for the musical pleasure I derive from it, but also for the visual pleasure. Some items truly are works of art.
.It's all about the Music.

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 05:40:59 PM »

Britt would have been past her heyday by then as well.  Still love her body double’s dance in ‘The Wicker Man’
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline grammadoelas

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 06:56:19 PM »

Albastergat?

Offline King_Julian_S

I've got the vintage Sansui blues
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 07:11:28 PM »
Now all u need is this legend Sansui sp-le8t

鮮烈音 Can't Believe Such a Rich Tone Sound from solo JBL 8" Driver SANSUI SP-LE8T KENRICK Special #3
https://youtu.be/BZ0_vpNAXHY
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Bruce M

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 07:57:05 PM »
Just googled Brit Ekland........ hubba hubba

My father in-law has a Sansui AU-2900 I made him dig out a while ago. Was this any good?

I donated a nasty set of 2000's Sansui AV floorstanders to get it going, and with the old CEC TT he bought with it in '79 these speakers sound a million times better than with base model Denon AVR I had used them with before.

Offline King_Julian_S

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2018, 08:32:31 PM »
Just googled Brit Ekland........ hubba hubba

My father in-law has a Sansui AU-2900 I made him dig out a while ago. Was this any good?

I donated a nasty set of 2000's Sansui AV floorstanders to get it going, and with the old CEC TT he bought with it in '79 these speakers sound a million times better than with base model Denon AVR I had used them with before.

The reality of matching “certain things” with “certain things” in this hobby is important.
I almost sold the au111 and as I always say  luckily I matched it by accident to the inconspicuous Daan jakobs ..
this always makes me wonder how many good stuff I moved on over the years without knowing their true potential ..
Non audiophile music lover...