Author Topic: I've got the vintage Sansui blues  (Read 373 times)

Online vleisman

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
I've got the vintage Sansui blues
« on: September 16, 2018, 01:15:17 PM »
At last count...
2 x amplifiers
2 sets of speakers
2 turntables
1 graphic equalizer

The blues part is that the AU222 amp is the only one working properly, and that only after much effort from Nilam.

Online vleisman

• AVForums Grandmaster
Re: I've got the vintage Sansui blues
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 02:37:35 PM »
Removed the back cover from the SP-100 speakers and saw lots of corrosion /contamination on the switch mechanism. Cleaned it off and they are singing nicely. These have quite bad water damage so cosmetically they are no good, but they sound pretty good.

The switch changes the sound a lot, and the natural and soft settings are not great. The Clear setting sounds best.

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 04:13:48 PM »
I also have various Sansui odds & ends. I need to look at the one AU777 as it is very much down on the left channel. Played fine last time I fired it up but that was a few years back. Coupled to a TU-777 tuner and a Sansui tape deck, model number escapes my mind right now.

I need to update my vintage collection in the "Housekeeping" thread I started a while back in the Vintage section, have become somewhat lazy of late.  :-[

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline Baseline

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 11:00:23 AM »
I love my small Sansui collection. Everything in proper working order with the exception of the turntable which requires a new belt. On the rack from top to bottom are a Sansui TU-555 tuner, Sansui QS-1 quadphonic synthesizer, Sansui AU-6600 amplifier and in the second photo is my Sansui SR-222 turntable, which I have had since 1982.

.It's all about the Music.

Online vleisman

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 11:52:38 AM »
You have beautiful stuff there Baseline  :thumbs: makes my collection look a bit scruffy and poor. I do have a stunning SR-636 turntable and the little AU222 amplifier sounds better than it looks. Maybe I should add some pictures.

Offline Agaton Sax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 02:07:06 PM »
Aai. In every OK Bazaars from Mossel Bay to Marble Hall there would be the HiFi department next to the furniture. There would be Tempest and Blaupunkt music centres and at the back a Black Sansui stack with a SR222 on top.As inaccesible to a school boy as Magnum's Ferrari or Brit Ekland in the Lux advertisement.

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 04:17:20 PM »
Very nice, Baseline, the Sansuis all look immaculate!

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Online vleisman

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 07:06:38 PM »
Aai. In every OK Bazaars from Mossel Bay to Marble Hall there would be the HiFi department next to the furniture. There would be Tempest and Blaupunkt music centres and at the back a Black Sansui stack with a SR222 on top.As inaccesible to a school boy as Magnum's Ferrari or Brit Ekland in the Lux advertisement.

Given that choice as a schoolboy I would have gone for Brit Ekland. Today I might have regretted that choice.

Offline Agaton Sax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 07:42:32 PM »
Ja and in the bigger stores there would be a Technics setup next to the Snotsuis with SL B2 turntable and SU Z2 amplifier ,except the salesman with short sleeves and a wide brown tie and  INSIDE INFO would call it the Suzy2. Really big OKs like Bloemfontein would have the SL Q2 and SU V2 and in the record bar there would be Yamaha NS 1000Ms but those were NOT FOR SALE.

Offline Baseline

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 08:35:00 PM »
Very nice, Baseline, the Sansuis all look immaculate!

-F_D

Thanks F_D. I enjoy my audio gear not only for the musical pleasure I derive from it, but also for the visual pleasure. Some items truly are works of art.
.It's all about the Music.