Author Topic: South Africa earn thrilling 36-34 win over New Zealand.....  (Read 380 times)

Offline Nirvana

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Very Addicted
Re: South Africa earn thrilling 36-34 win over New Zealand.....
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 05:19:07 PM »
Yes,I don't have dstv and therefor couldn't (bear to!) watch,as my expectations was the same as most.

But what a miraculous performance - hair raising stuff at the end!  :notworthy:
The Boks,Coach,and us as supporters, needed this win badly,let's hope they can repeat this level of commitment...  :pray:
  :dop:
Never b flat,never b sharp,always b natural

Offline Wim

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 10:17:41 PM »
If you have recorded the game do yourself a favor and listen to all 3 commentaries at that last knock on from the all blacks.. The afrikaans and the xhosa (I think) is classic! And you donít need to understand anything either. Just the emotion. And it looks like Djantji got a bit of his arm to force the knock on. He won us the game right there.

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 11:02:36 PM »
There were multiple standout individual performances in the match. Still a lot of room for improvement, though.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Ampdog

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2018, 05:05:39 AM »
One can view stats, be critical, whatever, but as Oom Boy Louw said almost a century ago:

"Looks at the score-board!"

The stats say what?  It doesn't show that the Boks were probably nervous as hell; not forgetting that they came from two losses. It doesn't show the tremendous effort, both physically and spiritually, that was required by a 'down' team to 'come back' like they did - and added that the Boks were behind (as most expected) 12 - 0 at half-time. It doesn't show that the best team in the world can rally quickly but in this case to no avail.

I would venture to say that the score is a secondary matter. If all the kicks were successful the ABs might have won by a similar small margin. If the game continued for perhaps a few more minutes the ABs might have won say with another penalty. If it were to continue for a few more minutes the Boks might have been ahead again, and so on ad infinitum.

And the Boks might not repeat that performance soon. (And why is the mindset that is is a shame to lose?)  Etc. etc. etc.   Truth is, the ABs is still the best team in the world; one must just watch a few earlier games to notice that they just play better than their opponents.

I will rest with that. To me the main achievement is the way the Boks performed, coming 'from behind' the way they did.  No future losses can take that away from them.
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2018, 08:02:51 AM »
The guys did what was needed to win. The All Blacks lead the world by quite a margin, such that another loss may not happen soon. On any other day, a team playing with 14 men for 10 minutes against NZ would be severely thrashed. This puts the TACKLES statistic in perspective: the tackles were not only many, but also good (for the most part). This disrupted their game, because they are used to having their way. Of course, it's not a sustainable way to play because it drains the defending team's energy. Until our performance levels match theirs - consistently - I will be happy with a good effort when we lose. This one I will savour.

DON'T PANIC
Capie