Author Topic: Edwards Audio IA3-R flagship Integrated Amplifier  (Read 1153 times)

Offline BJ

Edwards Audio IA3-R flagship Integrated Amplifier
« on: September 14, 2018, 05:58:59 PM »
Totally blown away by this control and purist definition from this 100W Integrated. The ease it drives this demanding Magnepan  Panel Sound.....Sublime

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Shunyata - See No Evil; Hear No Evil

Offline Vegas

Re: Edwards Audio IA3-R flagship Integrated Amplifier
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 08:06:59 PM »
Very nice Ben!  :thumbs:

Online Nidri

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 06:52:25 AM »
Quintessentially British minimalism.
Like a classic Onix or NVA.
 :thumbs:
Whilst Nidri takes reasonable care to ensure that the information in this message is correct and up to date, this might not always be the case. Nidri does not give any warranties as to the accuracy and safety of any information appearing in this message.

Offline Selaelom

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 04:16:10 AM »
Diamonds come in small packets. With Edwards Audio, they are really the flagship amplifiers
Love playing smooth Jazz on excellent sound quality

Online CAD

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 03:49:56 PM »
Pretty cool and it must have some serious power reserves to drive the Maggies.

Are those wall mountable Maggies or is there a special bracket ?
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline BJ

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 07:02:00 PM »
Pretty cool and it must have some serious power reserves to drive the Maggies.

Are those wall mountable Maggies or is there a special bracket ?

Yes Tony, the Talk Amp is 100W RMS, good ol’ British Watts. No problem driving the Maggie’s with Passive B&W Sub behind the unit.

The Maggie’s are the MC1’s. Normally used for Surround and Back Surrounds. Can also buy a single unit for Center Channel.

They come supplied with the Brackets and cable fitted. Easy to install, 180 deg swivel. So can go flush against wall if not in use, and then tilted at preferred angle for listing.

Perfect for anyone with a restricted open area, as per the photos. Big stacker doors 5m on both sides of the speakers, so really no room for anything else.

The room is Big open plan 6 x 10, and the system covers it quite well.

Offline kamikazi

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 11:03:52 PM »
I am currently shopping for an amplifier in this class, but what makes the Edwards Audio more special than other amplifiers in this category range? At 100W it competes with the Rega Elicit-R in terms of outright output, but it is a lot more expensive compared to the Rega? I do like the look and the simplicity of the design. Not many reviews or impressions on these amplifier either.

Offline BJ

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 11:38:07 PM »
I am currently shopping for an amplifier in this class, but what makes the Edwards Audio more special than other amplifiers in this category range? At 100W it competes with the Rega Elicit-R in terms of outright output, but it is a lot more expensive compared to the Rega? I do like the look and the simplicity of the design. Not many reviews or impressions on these amplifier either.

The Short and Simple Answer.....The Proof is in the Pudding

Wattage is the worst possible measurement that one can use as a guideline in Audio.

I have had a Plinius 125W, Class A, 50 Ampere Amp, destroying the likes of  Parrasound 400W amps. Likewise the Plinius SA50, along side  the Krell SA50, some of the Best solid state Class A Amps ever build, comfortably outperforming 200-250w Rotel/Nad Power amps in Headroom and actual loudness.

A Plinius SA103, 125W, Class A, nowadays will cost you close to R200K, the Replacement RA125 is set to Retail around R280K.

At a mere 125W....not to far from your 100W......

What makes an amp like this Sooo special????

So as for price and performance......each to its own.

You can either pre judge a product, based on Looks/Price/Heritage, or take time to audition and keep an open mind.

Imagine walking into CT, and choose the Rega 100W over the Gryphon 125W, because it sounds better......that will certainly throw the apple Cart amongst the Pigions.

Guess what I am trying to get to.....there is NO substitute for listening.

There is a Good Afrikaans Saying.....”Paper is Stom”

So basically any form of electronic/Paper Media is flawed, cause there is Human Nature involved.

I cannot convince you to like the Sound of the Talk over the Rega.

You need to listen to Both, and then decide on the one you like.

You organize the Rega, I will supply the Talk, and we do the Demo together and discuss the findings. The Winner, will be the one you like most.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 11:45:12 PM by BJ »

Offline kamikazi

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 12:24:41 AM »
I picked the Rega, because it seemed like a fair competitor at the bracket the Edwards Audio is pitched at in terms of its pricing and specification. I apologise if this comparison came about as unfair. I actually haven't heard the Rega or own one, but there are a lot of amplifiers in that bracket which is why I asked for your opinion on what the strengths of the IA3-R amplifier would be or what type of sound Edwards Audio strive for with their audio products.

You definitely don't have to convert me about Watts, I recently had the opportunity to demo the rather excellent 10W LTA valve amplifier in my system that shattered any pre-conceived ideas I might have had about power output. It was also surprisingly accurate and dynamic that again shattered any pre-conceived ideas I might have had on what valve amplifiers can do. And then a 30 year old QED P300 power amplifier bested the Rotel RB-1582 mk2 that I was trialling in my system, rendering the beefy Rotel thin and soulless sounding in comparison. Audio and component synergy is full of surprises!

Anyways I would love to look at the Edwards Audio IA3-R if demo opportunities are available.

Online CAD

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 07:33:57 AM »
The Maggie’s are the MC1’s. Normally used for Surround and Back Surrounds. Can also buy a single unit for Center Channel.

They come supplied with the Brackets and cable fitted. Easy to install, 180 deg swivel. So can go flush against wall if not in use, and then tilted at preferred angle for listing.

Perfect for anyone with a restricted open area, as per the photos. Big stacker doors 5m on both sides of the speakers, so really no room for anything else.

Pretty cool and yes would imagine they work well where space is a problem  :2thumbs:

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline BJ

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 08:58:45 AM »
I picked the Rega, because it seemed like a fair competitor at the bracket the Edwards Audio is pitched at in terms of its pricing and specification. I apologise if this comparison came about as unfair. I actually haven't heard the Rega or own one, but there are a lot of amplifiers in that bracket which is why I asked for your opinion on what the strengths of the IA3-R amplifier would be or what type of sound Edwards Audio strive for with their audio products.

You definitely don't have to convert me about Watts, I recently had the opportunity to demo the rather excellent 10W LTA valve amplifier in my system that shattered any pre-conceived ideas I might have had about power output. It was also surprisingly accurate and dynamic that again shattered any pre-conceived ideas I might have had on what valve amplifiers can do. And then a 30 year old QED P300 power amplifier bested the Rotel RB-1582 mk2 that I was trialling in my system, rendering the beefy Rotel thin and soulless sounding in comparison. Audio and component synergy is full of surprises!

Anyways I would love to look at the Edwards Audio IA3-R if demo opportunities are available.

Eish.....
Apologies man....occupational habit. :facepalm:

You welcome to send me PM with your details then we can arrange a demo. Only with pleasure  :thumbs: