Author Topic: DIY Power Cable - I may be hallucinating.  (Read 955 times)

Offline PapaH

Re: DIY Power Cable - I may be hallucinating.
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 10:59:57 PM »
Depends how conducive they are...   ;D

Offline Burzat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Junior Member
  • "Of course you know how to dance." -- Alcohol
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2018, 10:29:14 AM »
Tried to post a pic of the power cord I made. Just not able to.
Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Offline BWS

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2018, 11:01:56 AM »
Plug one into your kettle and see if the coffee tastes better :sh1tstirrer: :point:
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline Katji

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2018, 12:19:49 PM »
Tried to post a pic of the power cord I made. Just not able to.
Tell us what you did or what you tried to do and we'll tell you how to do it.

Online Trompie67

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2018, 01:02:47 AM »
Burzat

Safely ignore most of comments above .. I'll give you a simple history before telling you why .. Many years ago, i had a great chap coming over - lets call him JT, who brought an integrated Electrocompaniet to me and that is when my Leak ST60 got very scared .. Lo and behold, the E had such a flat / 2 dim sound, lifeless presentation, when compared to the meager 20W (?) Leak - i had it modded to strapped triode, that there was silence in the room .. Eventually J asked, do you by any chance have this thick power cord going into the Leak around - i did one myself then, and have not stopped doing them since - i went searching the house over, and bingo - one came up ! It was the one i've forgotten about - it was going in my Copland Pre - who i sold The Copland to, why - don't ask me ..

So we put the shielded, unbendable black mamba into the E, and guess what !? From the first notes, same material, same setup - there is soundstage, decay and all !!

Trust me - what you're hearing is far from placebo. To confirm this, go back to the soft PC wire, or whatever in time.

While on subject.. i'll give you some more .. For few days, few months ago something was not right with the sound on the main system .. Nothing's changed anywhere but it was not right - something mostly with soundstage and decay of notes .. very slightly - but there - inhibited. One day i see a plug out - never connected after back from my regular trip to Heaven - the plug of my 32V USB (!) cord .. Plugged back, it grows on you with its gentle placebo ;-)

Anyway .. Flame suit back on.

Question - was it the thick power cord, or the lack of AC fuse?
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline Burzat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Junior Member
  • "Of course you know how to dance." -- Alcohol
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2018, 07:42:07 AM »
Overall diameter is thicker than the power cable it came with from the factory. The size of the 3 core wire is also much bigger. With thicker strands of copper wire as well.

I dont know what an AC fuse is. I just did my own thing.
Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Offline ALF

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2018, 09:59:01 AM »
I always wonder why is it that an manufacturer invest hundreds of thousands into designing, optimizing and developing with all the skill and test environments but if it comes to the power cables that will set there product ahead of another product then they fail according our tests.
I don't get it, its like car manufacturers designing the most optimal air intake system then we came with a drill and pipes and DIY a " better performance" intake system in 5 minutes, then its not better just sounds faster but on a Dyno machine its worse but we still belief its better " HALLUCINATING"  :sh1tstirrer: 
"the fostex thang".....

Offline Spurge

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2018, 11:53:11 AM »
PERCEPTION is REALITY

Offline Francois

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2018, 11:56:27 AM »
Bud, if it sounds better it probably is. Donít lend your ears out to BS.
I have made 10ís of cables. Some sounded really k@k. One sounded quite good
I have a standard question to every person entering my showroom. ďDo you believe cables sound different@. If the answer is NO I promptly fffk up their day  :ROFLMAO:
The amazing thing is MOST hear differences between all 4 suspects I usually use. Then I heartily congratulate them on good listening skills and honesty and ability to change their point of view  :dop:

Iím no expert in power cables. Never got to play with them enough. I will in the new showroom. Maybe Iím deaf or not  :thinking:
I was born analog, not digit by digit....

Offline Gerlach

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2018, 12:04:58 PM »
Breaking: Dagga is now legal in South Africa for private use, rules ConCourt
https://www.thesouthafrican.com/dagga-marijuana-legal-in-south-africa/

Dagga is now legalized for home use so power and audio cables will sound even better now!!!  :giggle: :rubhands: 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 12:12:38 PM by Gerlach »
Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter RŲhrl)

Offline JoziNic

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2018, 02:40:26 PM »
So to add that you are not hallucinating, here is a great video from Michael Fremer talking through his system..the bit relevant to your power cable is at 15mins. https://youtu.be/H07NpWk_Xf8 (this video is awesome in totality either way)
This stereo record cannot be played on old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with. If you are in possession of such equipment please hand it into the nearest police station

Offline Michon

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2018, 03:16:23 PM »
So to add that you are not hallucinating, here is a great video from Michael Fremer talking through his system..the bit relevant to your power cable is at 15mins. https://youtu.be/H07NpWk_Xf8 (this video is awesome in totality either way)

What is the name of the John Atkinson recording playing from 10:30?

Offline JoziNic

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2018, 10:12:33 PM »
What is the name of the John Atkinson recording playing from 10:30?
I can only think itís this one mentioned Hefer (as itís recorded in 88.2 & on his dac below the screen itís showing 88.2 in red digits...https://www.stereophile.com/musicrecordings/new_cantus_cd_from_john_atkinson/index.html
This stereo record cannot be played on old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with. If you are in possession of such equipment please hand it into the nearest police station