Lets talk Budget Atmos

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FILV

AVForums Member
Reaction score
So the temptation is just too great, and since i am moving into a new place and renovating, i thought might as well take the opportunity and go Atmos  :Whoohoo:

I have some questions i am hoping you guys can help out with:

1 - Scenario: I have a 7.1 system, and i purchase a 7.1 amp, which is a 5.1.2 atmos amp. This means there is only one channel or speaker terminals for the surround back or atmos speakers. So my question is, if i connect my atmos ceiling speakers to the surround back channel/or speaker terminals, what happens when i watch a normal 7.1 film? do i need go through the schlep of disconnecting the atmos speakers, and connecting the rear surround speakers?  :thinking:

2 - I have beautiful pressed ceilings and actually feel bad cutting holes in them, to install the ceiling speakers for atmos.

A - Do reflective atmos speakers actually work?
My ceiling is flat, but it is not smooth as it has the patterns of the pressed ceiling. Will the patterns not disperse the sound incorrectly?
B- Has anyone used these? do they work decently? Jamo ATM50 Atmos Speakers http://www.jamo.com/products/atm50
C - I have a square lounge, so i have the option to install speakers on the wall, beneath the ceiling, facing down wards. Being that they are positioned on the sides, but facing downwards, will this still give the desired atmos effect?

3 - If i connect 4 atmos speakers to 2 channels (a 5.1.2 amp) will it be the same as having a  5.1.4 setup? (im on a tight budget, so a 9 channel amp not an option)

Hope the questions are easy enough to understand.

Im really excited for this, lets see what suggestions you guys have  :2thumbs: