Author Topic: Stax SRS-2170 Inbound  (Read 474 times)

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
Stax SRS-2170 Inbound
« on: September 13, 2018, 11:56:14 AM »
After almost three years of searching I eventually bagged a Stax starter set. Thanks to Thomas24's negotiation skills and Adie's intermediation Postnet should be calling later today to advise my SRS-2170 set has arrived.

Quite excited I am ... Listening impressions to follow.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline gLer

Re: Stax SRS-2170 Inbound
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 12:18:51 PM »
Well done, should be an interesting read...
Audirvana+ >> Audio-gd R-28 >> Elear / LCD-3

Offline AdrianDeLau

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 01:17:15 PM »
Nice! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online capetownwatches

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 01:45:45 PM »
Congrats! Keen to hear if it was worth the wait...  :Whoohoo:

Kingrex HQ1-Audio-gd NFB11.32-Little Dot Mkll-SRM252S-Benchmark DAC1 USB-RL Concero
LCD2F-HD600-SR207-DT990Pro-K612Pro-K240S-K171Mkll-M4U2-Y50

Offline Doge

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Recovering Audiophile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 02:27:16 PM »
They had the what I think was the SRS-3100 and SRS-5100 at the last CanJam I went to, but all you could listen to was the dumb jazz CD they had chosen so I didn't really get to evaluate them :ticked: pretty much every other stand there had a FLAC library and/or Tidal :headbanger:

Online Michon

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 03:00:21 PM »
I'm very curious about these.

For some odd reason the whole time while we were discussing this I thought it was the SRS-3100 that you're getting.

Offline Scubadude

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 09:56:37 PM »
3100 replaced the 2170 at the bottom of the Stax lineup when the SR207/307/407 were discontinued a couple of years ago. The L300 which is the earspeaker part of the SRS3100 system is said to owe more to SR007 and 009 than classic Lambda's. The set I got is aaybe a couple of years old but in NIB condition.

I did some listening earlier and this does not sound entry level at all.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline Tenflare

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Gaming on orthodynamics since 2006.
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 08:00:45 AM »
Well I'm jelly!

I hope they're everything you hope for and can't wait to read your impressions.
Never use a graph when a good metaphor will do...

Offline Scubadude

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 02:18:14 PM »
All right some incoherent thoughts.

The build quality is much better than some reviewers made me expect.  These are supremely comfortable quite light and with very low clamp.
Wish You Were Here intro ... New levels of detail never heard before. Cough and sniff we all know, , but also the static noise has real texture and there is a faint rhythmic noise like a rocking chair or grandfather clock. And then the song proper starts ... Deep, deep bass deeper than the LCD2. But not thick or thuddy. The exquisite detail of the slide guitar is something to behold. Gilmour's voice has a rough edge on the chorus but I think it should have (and I am probably listening too loud could also be Sabre glare from the uDSD used as a makeshift source).

Soundstage is well proportioned in all three dimensions but smaller than K1000, HD800. Similar levels of absolute transparency and absolute grainlessness as well-driven K1000 though.

Agnes Obel Aventine   great PRAT on plucked strings, beautiful string tone. Man, these do tone sooo well! Cello like it is live in the room. Impeccable focus. I think I get what Z was on about when he called these his end game in his Youtube review .

Agnes's voice is as clear and smooth as it gets but highly detailed, revealing multiple takes where she does her own harmonies.

Fourplay's Bali Run: Cymbal shimmer and seemingly limitless treble extension like my Apogees (however I think the latter it is an illusion ... It probably rolls of from 10kHz or so), electric bass has lovely weight but an interesting floating quality. Timing is razor sharp.

Some Techmaster P.E.B. and other bassy recordings reveal glorious bass ... Bass with real texture and control down to the lowest of the lows.  Subbase like this I have not heard before.  This is probably the biggest surprise so far as many commentators mention bass roll-off.
Interesting side note ... Does loud pretty well but noticeable compression after a certain (loud!) point.  I think that point is where the dynamic headroom of the little amp runs out.

I really like what I'm hearing. I am thinking what conventional setup would challenge this at full retail which would be about R12k... Maybe, just maybe HD650 (what's that ... R6k?) but I don't think you can buy an amp that would make the 650 sound like this within the budget.

Online capetownwatches

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 07:24:35 PM »
You know what they say - once you go Stax, you never go back...

Great impressions, not incoherent in the least!
Although you would have every right to be - exposure to electrostatics can have that effect.

You did impressively well to snap these up, to the extent that I might just have to follow suit.
There exists the impression that Stax are prohibitively expensive, but this system proves otherwise.
Even at full retail it's a bargain, not least since it provides all you need save a decent source.

Closest dynamic comparison would be HD800/S with a great amp driving them - you're looking around R50,000 at SA retail.
This gets you Stax goodness and a unique listening experience for a quarter of that (or even less, if one is patient and a skilled negotiator...)  ;)

Enjoy and keep those impressions coming.

Kingrex HQ1-Audio-gd NFB11.32-Little Dot Mkll-SRM252S-Benchmark DAC1 USB-RL Concero

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 07:53:35 PM »
Will give mine another listen.
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Online capetownwatches

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 01:42:18 PM »

Now look what you've gone and done...

Offline Scubadude

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2018, 02:07:59 PM »
Gratz Arie! Listening impressions or it didn't happen!

Online capetownwatches

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2018, 02:31:44 PM »
Gratz Arie! Listening impressions or it didn't happen!

Thanks Francois - sorry...too busy listening...  :groovy:

Offline kamikazi

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 10:02:36 PM »
Listened briefly to Arie's Stax headphone set today and I'm really liking the sound of these and they are very comfortable as well! Very open sounding and I really like how these electrostatics stage music. Very transparent and quick transients make most music genres very enjoyable. Bass is there and of high quality, but it does roll off a little bit earlier than I'd like. I'd definitely be happy with these in my collection.