Is learning programming in Delphi worth the effort? Help us choose subjects!

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judy@Rtec

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
My daughter has to choose subjects for grade 10 in the next week and is seriously considering IT. She has the brain, and qualify  (need above 70% in core math)

Problem is as much as she is of above average intelligence she can be a bit distracted at times so NEEDS distraction. As such she realy wants to take Hospitality. Especially now that ALL subjects count towards varsity scores... I am all for it, purely for soft skill developent (working under pressure, creativity, people management/skills, fine motor, teamwork, ability to plan, take orders, taking responsibilty etc etc) ... that and allowing her one ?mostly practical? subject  to save her from brain fry... she stresses a bit.

Anyhow, problem is, as it stands she MAY not be possible to take both in accordance to the Subject packages presented, so if she wants to take hospitality she we would have to take CAT (which is software operation mostly... Microsoft, databases, html web design, networking etc). Although cat is invaluable also, and probably much more versatile in everyday business , it is not her first choice.

Now here is the my question:
1) they teach IT in Delphi... I know almost nothing of programming (last time I did it I was 10 years old and programmed myself a mastermind game in GWBASIC and am now limited to Visual Basic and basic understanding of html coding). Is Delphi ?up there? in the real world?
2) if ?no? to question 1, would it not be better to have her take CAT (which I can 100% help her with too) and have her take a ?proper? course or even extra subject if possible in a more mainstream language? And which would that be??

I know the geeks on the forum can give me an educated answer...:)

Thanks guys.