Author Topic: Switch to Schuko?  (Read 909 times)

Offline Nidri

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Do you have change for a paradigm?
Switch to Schuko?
« on: September 13, 2018, 07:59:26 AM »
I'm considering switching to a Schuko Power Strip.
Mainly because a lot of my stuff is 2-prong Europlug, which plugs directly into Schuko without adapter.
My other, grounded equipment is currently SA-cable (Type M) terminated but I have enough Schuko cables lying around to make the switch.
Are there any decent 8-socket (at least) local options for, let's say, max. R3,000?
I don't need any filtering/conditioning, just reliable, solid engineering.

Offline Katji

Re: Switch to Schuko?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 08:59:09 AM »
I wanted to do that, with say 2 SA sockets too...Crabtree is no-go, at best they have two Euro-plugs at one end, like all the others, or maybe one Schuko. So i looked at making something with wall modules...that brand that...MTech...Multi Tech [?] same company that sells those DMMs was marketing it...but I could never quite figure out which frames or backing plates and housings I needed. And it was going to be very big.

Offline stereosane

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 10:13:44 AM »
Iíve been wanting to do the same, Iíve searched everywhere and MS Power seem to be the cheapest otherwise DIY. My preference would be the Furutech strip but itís more than double your budget..

Will be following this thread  :thumbs:

Offline LocknLoad

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cover me in chocolate and throw me to the lesbians
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 04:36:35 PM »
I moved to Schuko a few years back. I have a combination of Legrand and APC.
Been running several of these for a few years without any hassles. I got mine off Amazon UK but I see they no longer sell them.

https://www.apc.com/shop/za/en/products/APC-Performance-SurgeArrest-8-outlets-with-Phone-Coax-Network-Protection-230V-Germany/P-PF8VNT3-GR

Noticed APS now make a six port version now as well.

https://www.apc.com/shop/za/en/products/APC-Home-Office-SurgeArrest-6-outlets-with-Phone-Protection-230V-Germany/P-PH6T3-GR

Not sure of the pricing but it was far more reasonable than the Furutech unit which I also own. With 100 000 Euro insurance backup along with lifetime warranty, I figured it must be half decently made.
I have pulled over 12A during some demo scenes and the warning light flashes briefly but none of my five units have given any any trouble.

Fan/Owner of KEF/Yamaha/Pioneer/Rotel/Paradigm/Emotiva/Dayton/TC Sounds/Minidsp/Acoustic Elegance/DIYSG Volt8/DIYSG Concentric8

Offline Katji

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 07:50:41 PM »
That looks fine. Reminds me, I went through searching ebay, I think that brand name is the main/standard one.

Offline Ricketysmurf

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 07:56:58 PM »
Little pricier than your budget but the Eubiq system caters for all types and works like a dream, especially when you have hard to get to rocker switches on the back of you components. I simple switch them of with a flick of the adaptor on the bar. Works like a dream.

http://www.cabstrut.co.za/eubiq-powertrack.html
Audio Note
   Music's Finest Conductor

Offline Nidri

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Do you have change for a paradigm?
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 05:50:05 AM »
^^^ Thank you, I will consider that.

However I'm starting to doubt the whole Schuko system though. How can it be that they don't allocate LIVE and NEUTRAL to specific pins?
I.e. why is it so important to wire up a South African plug correctly, when the Germans just go and use a system where the L and N wires can just go wherever they feel like. (Obviously the GROUND position has to be correct always.)

I have a German component where the LIVE is indicated on the plug, but the sockets don't appear to ever tell you where the LIVE is meant to go. So it's a guessing game I suppose. Or am I missing something? Is the whole LIVE and NEUTRAL thing really not that important after all?

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 06:24:29 AM »
I can lend you a test device so you can get it all right once schukooed. 
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline mariusc

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 09:12:45 AM »
There is a system on Schukos:
The voltage and amperage rating will always be indicated on the live pin and socket side, so align the live pin and socket. (this is the side where you read 230V 16A e.g.). The problem is that it is not always easy readable. The wiring should of course be done correctly, and this is not difficult since the live side is colour coded red on all the plugs that I have worked with.
To make it fool proof, I have made a small red dot with red nail polish on the live sides of both the male and female sides.

Offline ScottulusMaximus

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 09:24:22 AM »
Little pricier than your budget but the Eubiq system caters for all types and works like a dream, especially when you have hard to get to rocker switches on the back of you components. I simple switch them of with a flick of the adaptor on the bar. Works like a dream.

http://www.cabstrut.co.za/eubiq-powertrack.html

That is awesome!Did some rough maths with the plugs under my desk and will be around 15k, ouch...
Importing made easy!

Offline Belssch

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 09:57:43 AM »
Morning -- got some really sturdy Furutech kit from Jeandre at AV Boutique the web pics dont do it justice maybe worth a call

Offline pwatts

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 10:35:58 AM »
We decided to use Schucko entirely in our office of almost 40 embedded developers. Too much crap with the SA plugs so we import Schucko strips and cables almost in bulk from Amazon.de, can never have enough. Was/is expensive but worth it. For the odd case we need SA plugs we have some Ellies multiplugs with converters lying in a corner.

Offline Katji

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 05:20:27 PM »
If there's enough interest / enough takers (altho it doesn't look like it,) :nfi: maybe a group buy. ...Rationalise the cost of courier and avoid the Customs hassles.