Audio/Video Hardware > Digital

Car Headunit connected to PC and more permanent recommendations

(1/2) > >>

uns33ndamage:
First off,  i would like to say Hi to everyone. I am new here. I frequent Carbonite and actually came here in search of some goods haha, but I see there is quite a bit of helpful information which I will definitely be reading through.

I recently purchased a set of Q Acoustics 3010 Bookshelf speakers along with a Boston Acoustics CS Sub10 ii. Something small mainly for PC use. I have yet to buy a receiver or amplifier. I connected the speakers and subwoofer to an Alpine 178BT Car Headunit powered off my PC (Ghetto, but it worked lol). It was all I had lying around and I really had to hear what the speakers were capable of.
It worked quite well, although interference is a problem. The Headunit emits what sounds like pink noise constantly.

I would like to get some recommendations. What would be my most budget friendly option to power my speakers? I will be using analogue connections from a Xonar Essence STX soundcard to the receiver/amp. Also, does anyone have experience with running a headunit off of a PC power supply and how one would go about potentially removing interference and noise? It would be nice to be able to use the Alpine headunit in the meantime giving me more time to get a more permanent solution.

Katji:
Welcome.  :D

--- Quote ---What would be my most budget friendly option to power my speakers? I will be using analogue connections from a Xonar Essence STX soundcard to the receiver/amp.
--- End quote ---

Check the for sale ads here, get good 2ndhand amp for say R1800-R2000, or less. Subscribe to the a/v for sale subforum or check New Posts every day at least.  Or an SMSL or Topping small desktop type amp.

The car head unit and the noise...I think people usually use a separate PSU.

Bruce M:

--- Quote from: Katji on September 11, 2018, 07:48:11 AM ---Welcome.  :D

Check the for sale ads here, get good 2ndhand amp for say R1800-R2000, or less. Subscribe to the a/v for sale subforum or check New Posts every day at least.  Or an SMSL or Topping small desktop type amp.

The car head unit and the noise...I think people usually use a separate PSU.

--- End quote ---

Quite right, if you don't need a remote, a phono stage or high power output, then you could get a decent working secondhand integrated amp for even less than that. Particularly if you are not being too brand conscious. I don't mean Dixon, but older Kenwoods, Pioneers, Technics, Sony, etc.

kolakidd:
You should also check the retailer websites, a lot of them have awesome 2nd hand lists, some of them also do end of range discounts.

Also just a heads up with audio, just because an amp is old, does not mean it will sound worse than a newer amp.
I know in the PC game itís all about the newest, because that implies power or efficiency,, but with amplifiers itís different, itís more about sound character, and a 30 year old amp might have a sound character you fall in love with.

Iím sure Iím going to be hammered for that statement.

uns33ndamage:
Thanks for the replies. I think an integrated amp is what I am going to be on the hunt for. I was worried about the age of an amp, as kolakidd has said PCs are quite different, but this does reassure me.

Is an integrated amplifier better than a surround receiver when it comes to a stereo setup? If I had to come across a surround receiver at a decent price would it be worth considering?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version