Author Topic: Switch mode sucks for Audio? Sugden begs to differ  (Read 928 times)

Offline adie

Re: Switch mode sucks for Audio? Sugden begs to differ
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2018, 08:33:15 PM »
Ingvar needs to get out more. He smokes so much he probably can't smell kitty litter :sh1tstirrer:

My mate, who assembled my switchmode Hypex amps (and promptly bought kits for himself), compared them favourably with the non switch mode Sugdens.
He also thought they might better his 1kw power amp.
I have cats, but no cat litter. I have ears, but hear no nasty noise from the amps.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+43)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2018, 08:38:12 PM »
Ingvar needs to get out more. He smokes so much he probably can't smell kitty litter :sh1tstirrer:

My mate, who assembled my switchmode Hypex amps (and promptly bought kits for himself), compared them favourably with the non switch mode Sugdens.
He also thought they might better his 1kw power amp.
I have cats, but no cat litter. I have ears, but hear no nasty noise from the amps.

The interesting part is that Sugden is using a non switching “traditional” class A amplifier, not a switching amp.   The power supply is switching. 

Something Chord for eg has been doing from product 1. 

A lot of / maybe even most commercial switching amplifiers also use switching power supplies. 
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline GECO

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2018, 09:11:27 PM »
coming to think of it. smps is ideal for class A. better than any convetional supply. the smps can deal with the constant power  demand much better and much less chance of hum. no need for huge 60 000+uf capacitor banks

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+86)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2018, 10:28:18 PM »
coming to think of it. smps is ideal for class A. better than any convetional supply. the smps can deal with the constant power  demand much better and much less chance of hum. no need for huge 60 000+uf capacitor banks
:thumbs: Pass amp-camp-amp and derivatives

Sent from my FIG-LA1 using Tapatalk

The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline charles

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2018, 08:33:43 AM »
Some information regrading Linear and Switch mode Power Supplies

www.autodesk.com/products/eagle/blog/linear-regulated-vs-switch-mode-power-supply/

Offline ALF

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2018, 01:44:03 PM »
My best experience with my small ZCA class a amp was with early model 120Watt old Mecer laptop charger as supply, then I used a 200w 24volt Meanwell it work but for some reason very thin sound and I noticed that the heatsinks does not heat up like the old laptop chargers. Then I order to new HP 120Watt chargers and thought they might be better than both and the same happened as with Meanwell that the heat sinks run cool as if the current was limited with some green power safe nonsense.
I swapped back to the old Mecer big block switch modes and all perfect again ( heat sinks running hot ) but only 20v not 24v, I wonder what type of power supplies Nelson Pass is using because I could not get a constant current supply from two new switch modes ?
"the fostex thang".....

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+86)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2018, 02:19:20 PM »
... I wonder what type of power supplies Nelson Pass is using because I could not get a constant current supply from two new switch modes ?
There are probably 100s of SMPSes that DIYAudio community tested, it's all in the forum threads. I haven't built one of those amps so I haven't bothered to memorise, sorry.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline chrisflex

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2018, 07:59:24 PM »
~ music is imagination given instrumentation ~