Author Topic: FASTT  (Read 1576 times)

Offline kenvanraas

Re: FASTT
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2018, 10:52:21 PM »
SeanS speakies diy has also same idea? (meaning off centre,not loaded/transmission line?)
https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,70102.0.html

Offline Michon

« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2018, 11:06:40 PM »
SeanS speakies diy has also same idea? (meaning off centre,not loaded/transmission line?)
https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,70102.0.html

Woah I missed this one. Thank you.

I see good speakers using the idea (ATC, Neumann, Focal, PMC), but then I also see good speakers not using it (Amphion, Genelec). Some of the companies mentioned have different products using each layout. The same could be said about rounded edges for reduction of diffraction. The companies that make good speakers that use it market it as a benefit, the companies that make good speakers without it seem not to mention it. I haven't compared it for myself or read a good paper on it, so I don't know.
Tidal HiFi > MOTU 828x > Speaker build pending.
                                   > Schiit Lyr > Sennheiser HD600 & HD800.

Offline GECO

« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2018, 10:04:59 AM »
the feet aint a done deal. i have wooden floor and needed something practical and cheap to get the speaker off the ground. R7,99 at gelmar for two.
but for the final i am leaning towards 8m inserts and stainless steel feet. (not spikes but one can change over to spikes at a later stage)

Offline Michon

« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2018, 10:07:54 AM »
I had a feeling that you've already thought about the feet.
Tidal HiFi > MOTU 828x > Speaker build pending.
                                   > Schiit Lyr > Sennheiser HD600 & HD800.

Offline El Sid

« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2018, 11:05:59 AM »
it is  a two pack satin clear lacquer from plascon

Geco could you please provide a bit more detail on this product? I would like to try it out but couldn't find it on their website. Thanks!

Offline GECO

« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2018, 11:46:24 AM »
Geco could you please provide a bit more detail on this product? I would like to try it out but couldn't find it on their website. Thanks!

the product is called Plascolac from plascon.
https://plascon.com/docs/default-source/south-africa/industrial/wood-coatings/reaction-lacquers/plascolac-reaction-lacquers-(ezn)/tds/ezn-4000-series-plascolac-lacquer-tintbases-tds.pdf?sfvrsn=e977a389_2

available from hyper paint
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 11:50:55 AM by GECO »

Offline El Sid

« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2018, 12:25:47 PM »
Thanks Geco!

It seems to me that this product needs a bit of know-how. Do you spray it?

Offline GECO

« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2018, 01:20:14 PM »
Yes I spray but it can also be brushed on. it really isn't difficult to work with. it is not like 2K paint. also flattens nicely

Offline GECO

« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2018, 01:20:49 PM »
final crossovers

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Music lover and involved in industry
    • Airmusic
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2018, 01:34:57 PM »
Hi Rudi,

Great project and nice design both aesthetically and acoustically also well executed as we all come to expect of your work.

As you know, we are closely aligned with our thinking on this approach, ie a full range driver supported on both ends of the spectrum by a bass-unit and tweeter. ;)

The TL approach is also fresh and as you said, the experience is more valuable than simulations as far as this bass alignment goes. I listen to PMC speakers in the Netherlands and was impressed with the speed, attack and resolution of the bass on these speakers. The JMR (French speaker brand) also subscribe to this approach.

I am interested in the crossover typology that you decided on. You mentioned 250Hz and 5000kHz but what are the slopes you employ at these points? 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th order? Are you rolling off the mid in the bass with a series cap? It looks like you do.

I am also interested to see the impedance plot of the design.

I am going to stop promising to meet for coffee, it is now a joke .. but we still should do that  :D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 01:42:15 PM by Air »

Offline GECO

« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2018, 02:06:23 PM »
Yes Stephan. we still need to do the coffee  ;D, thanks for the compliment

i used a 1st order between die bass and Fullrange and a 2nd order on the FR and tweeter. i like using 1st order on the lower as it makes the sound more natural higher up you want to clean up a bit more
the impedance plots i will do later.

Offline GECO

« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2018, 08:23:43 PM »
final frequency response in room at 1.5m

Offline El Sid

« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2018, 01:32:13 PM »
Yes I spray but it can also be brushed on. it really isn't difficult to work with. it is not like 2K paint. also flattens nicely
Thanks Geco - may give it a try then.

Forgot to mention that those look absolutely awesome - have given me some ideas for my impending horn build

Offline itscraig

« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2018, 08:12:46 PM »
Rudi I got you some help

Offline GECO

« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2018, 08:16:13 PM »

bring him over for a visit.  i will teach him quickly