help with networking & router

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoziNic

AVForums Super Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Hopefully the Computers & Networking members can help me (as I've partly hi-jacked a thread in the general discussion around set top boxes by accident)

I am currently being provided uncapped 100mbs fibre line from my ISP, they installed a white CTS box & provided a Tenda307 router (with 3LAN connections & 1 WAN connection)...
Connected to this router via cable are: a laptop, a NAS Server, and the last cable runs into my lounge & was connected to my Mede8er).
So initially my Smart Samsung TV was connected to the router via wifi & I was using the cable coming from router into my mede8er (this cable would normally end up in my PS3 if I was doing anything online on the PS3), the TV when I got it in June was initially connected fine, and would access netflix, showmax, DSTV now all via the tv's native apps pretty well with a semi decent speed & it was accessing all the media off the NAS server perfectly well (infact better than the mede8er where the mede8er was having issues with certain files, due to first gen chip, I believe...we did some renovations, moved the TV to another room, was still connecting fine to the internet & netflix & server, moved it back (I did a firmware update on my server like an idiot & now the TV doesn't access the server at all...bearing in mind that nothing else changed in terms of settings barring the firmware on my server, btu this is a story for another day)...
in the meantime I ordered a Mibox which when it arrived & I tried to setup it didn't pick up wifi network at all (whether I tried to put the name of the network in manually) nothing worked, it did however pick up every single wifi network within a 50m range (all my neighbors), but not mine. with the help of a forum member we deduced that the issue is that my Tenda router is not dual band and doesn't provide 2.4ghz & 5ghz & that should fix...but also that channels off the router may be an issue, so I go into the settings & play with the channels on the router, change from 13, to 1, to 11, and then the mibox picks it up but then no phone or ipad or anything else can connect faster than at 1mbs via wifi. I did as well order a USB to ethernet & connect the Mibox via this & it worked amazing, read media off the server that the mede8er had issue with, got netflix, dstv the works, via cable...I change the channel on the router so that all other phones & laptops can connect at a decent speed which is now working fine, but now my TV doesn't pick up the network AT ALL, just like the mibox.

having seen the difference of cable speeds over wifi, I have decided that I want to run a separate router plugged into the Tenda (as I cannot replace per my ISP) & then run ethernet cables from this router to:
the TV, the Mibox, the Mede8r which will double into the PS3 when needed (so an in total 3 ethernet connections / 2 additional along with the 1 already in existence) which sit in the lounge & the NAS server which will sit in the same room next door connected to the router (I will eventually probably sell or put the mede8er into a cupboard but it's very hard when you have grown so attached to a piece of tech)

I am looking at the following router: https://www.asus.com/za/Networking/RTAC66U/ & my questions are the following:
is this a decent router? it's currently selling on Takealot for R1799, or is my money better spent on another product? (if so which one?)...
I see this router has 4 ethernet ports will this suffice to service these devices? (TV, Mibox, Mede8er/PS3, NAS Server)...?
with the router servicing these devices via cable will all my other devices still connect to the original Tenda router via WIFI without issue? 
how will doing this affect speed of connection of having lets say 2 phones connected to the wifi, and 2 laptops (& probably my AV receiver as well) while having the TV or Mibox connected via cable getting either 4k content on netflix or content off the server?
how much of a ball-ache is it to set this all up in terms of IP addresses, frequency settings of 2.4 & 5 and getting one to work with cable & the other over wifi?etc etc or is it pretty basic?

thanks in advance!

SO I am now