Author Topic: Applying for a local importer code as an individual  (Read 4089 times)

Offline kolakidd

Re: Applying for a local importer code as an individual
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2021, 08:22:09 AM »

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2021, 12:11:21 PM »
Some parts of SARS are efficient, some not

An importers code is one of the simplest exercises for them to get right

About 4 months back I received a letter stating that I was to resubmit my 2012 return.  Yes, 9 years back.  I replied on 28th May advising that I had no records going that far back.  SARS response has been to send me the same letter (via email) 10 times, once a week.

A friend imported several small items and due to the shipper not having stock, they sent the shipment in 5 stages.  SARS declared that the last two exceeded the import limit and they ended up in the States Warehouse.   He went to see them (SA Customs at Cape Mail) and 6 weeks later plus an extra R1900 he received the items.  He said the States Warehouse was one of the most disorganised places he had ever visited.  It took them 4 hours to locate his 2 boxes.  Staff were sitting there playing with their phones and eating and refused to get up
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Skylar

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2021, 02:48:22 PM »
Over the past 10+ years I've imported numerous (probably 30 or more) parcels without an importers code - and without ANY hassles. I always let the parcels come by courier (Aramex Global Shopper) and let them sort out the import tax and VAT.

I concede that it may not be the right way of doing things, but if it works in this disorganized system of ours, why bother trying to do it the right way? If you can't beat them, join them. :BWAHAHAH:
DIY all the way

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2021, 02:59:17 PM »
I had a problem in 2019.  Parts Express left off my Customs code from the shipping invoice.  It was a reasonable value (exceeded R21 000) and UPS Couriers in Jhb got all excited when Customs stopped it.   It took a few days to sort out

I complained to PE about this and they brushed it off until I sent them an invoice for the demurrage and additional fees which came to R1330,00 and was given a credit of $90.00

So I think it depends on the shipment value and number of items in the shipment.  Certainly mine looked like a commercial transaction
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Skylar

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2021, 03:24:30 PM »
Sure, I never import that much at one time. Later this month I'll be getting two 12" drivers from the States and I hope things will still go smoothly as the value is much higher than usual.
DIY all the way

Offline kolakidd

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2021, 06:05:00 PM »
I don't think you need to worry, value is not the issue, rather volume of orders if you don't have the importers code.

The only issue with large drivers that you can sometimes encounter is the large magnets, they are classified as dangerous goods for air frieght. Some couriers do make a bit of a fuss, but it's not insermountable.

Offline Skylar

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2021, 09:20:37 PM »
Like I said, I've never have a problem - and sometimes I have quite a few parcels coming in simultaneously. At the moment I have a parcel coming from New York and another via Singapore, and of course soon the drivers from the States. Btw. It's ferrite magnets, not rare earth like Neodymium. I'll leave it up to the courier to sort out, but thanks for the warning anyway. I haven't considered that.

Edit: I used to do aeromodelling for a long time and I've noticed that the people who talked about importers codes and warned against importing directly the most, were the local dealers who didn't want us to import ourselves. Go figure...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 09:28:01 PM by Skylar »
DIY all the way