Applying for a local importer code as an individual

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kolakidd

AVForums Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
I went through this process recently. I import a lot of stuff from various parts of the world use a variety of forwarding option, often they're low value components from places like China, anyway, I became aware a while back about the restriction that as an individual could only import three items in a 12 month period. If you need to import more than three items per year you can register as an importer in your individual capacity in order to get an importers code.

I wanted to document the process here for others who may want to apply, it's not a 100% clear on the SARS website, and hopefully people can avoid the hassle of trying to decode the required doc's, or going through to the offices only to be told you're missing something.

Documents required (All more recent than three months)
1. A certified copy of your ID
2. A bank statement or bank letter (I think most banks allow you to download a letter now)
3. A Municipal account as proof of address (My house is in my wife's name, this required the municipal account, an affidavit from her, and a certified copy of her ID)
4. Tax compliance certificate from SARS (You can download from eFiling, or get it printed when you go to apply)
5. Your cell phone account
8. Letter of intent (A letter with your name, address, and the date stating that your intention is to apply for a local importer code in your personal capacity)
6. Completed DA 185 form
7. Completed Annexure DA 185.4A1 form

All of the documents are checked at the counter, so if you are confused by form 6 & 7 you can fill in parts there.

Gauteng
After calling SARS, I discovered that only two offices in Gauteng can process these documents, Alberton (Head Office) and Pretoria. Both offices send the documents on, so neither is a faster way to get a code.

The first time I went through, I waited two hours (turned away because certified copy of wife's ID was more than 3 months old), the second time, I waited 15 minutes, so wait time is completely variable.

The good news is that SARS has mentioned that this process may be incorporated into eFiling into 2019, but hey, who knows if that's just talk.